The 1940 U.S. Census is Coming Soon!
The release of the 1940 U.S. census records is less than two weeks away! Are you excited to get your hands on these documents and upload them to your family’s Geni profiles? Let’s take a look at what you can expect to find in the 1940 census records.
Standard information from census records:
- Marital status
- Place of birth
- Place of residence
- Home owned or rented? Value of the home?
- Relationship to head of household
New questions in the 1940 census:
- Income for the past year
- Did the person work for the CCC, WPA or NYA the week of March 24-30
- Supplemental schedule for two names on each page
Questions for the supplemental schedule include:
- Place of birth of the person’s father and mother
- Is the person a veteran or the child of a veteran
- For all women who are or have been married, has this woman been married more than once and age at first marriage, number of children born
- For people 14 years or older – does the person have a social security number, the person’s usual occupation
Be sure to mark your calendars – the 1940 U.S. census will be available April 2. Check out the video below to learn more about the 1940s census!