GEDMatch upload

Started by Private User on Friday, September 2, 2011

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
9/2/2011 at 11:23 AM

I've just gotten genotyped at 23AndMe and I'm interested in seeing if any of my DNA matches' blood relatives share common surnames with my blood relatives. There's a website that will do this:

But when I Import my Geni GEDCOM there, it doesn't recognize anyone whose name is not in caps. I've emailed the site administrator, but has anyone else tried to upload a Geni GEDCOM to this website?

Private User
9/2/2011 at 11:48 AM

I was able to get it to work by taking my Geni-created GEDCOM, uploading to Ancestry, and exporting from there.

If anyone at Geni is interested in seeing the two GEDCOMs side by side, I'm glad to send them along.

Private User
9/2/2011 at 12:58 PM

Hi Rolando, I will send you a message letting you know where you can send the GEDCOMs so we can take a look.

9/2/2011 at 1:08 PM

Many programs have the option to change last names to all caps when you import them. If you have one, it would be the easiest solution.

Private User
9/2/2011 at 1:22 PM

I looked at the GED again, and it doesn't seem to be the all-Caps thing. I'm not sure what it is. Thanks, George. I'll send you the files along with a link to what the imported version looks like.

But really: it's not your problem. :-)

Private User
9/5/2011 at 5:16 PM

Hi Rolando, where do you upload the GED file? I got one from Genes Reunited (from a relative) and would like to upload it here.
Any help would be appreciated!! :))

9/5/2011 at 6:15 PM

Private User

I am sorry to advise you that GEDCOMS cannot be uploaded to Geni, just downloaded...

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion