Fredrick C Knoff

Started by Brian Knoff on Monday, September 5, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 1 post
9/5/2011 at 11:07 AM

I am looking for Fredrick (or Frederick) C Knoff, my great great grandfather.

Birth 31 Jul 1820 in Hannover, Germany
Death 07 Apr 1904 in Shawnee Township, Johnson, Kansas

To be exact, I only have Hannover as placeholder. From a Canadian census of 1851 through his death, only two entries are ever given for POB: Germany or Kingdom of Hannover. Only once is there something else and it is hard to read/decipher but it could be Braunschweig but I cannot verify this.

He traveled to Canada in 1845 (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) however I have found zero ship logs, port logs, manifests etc to verify passage and ports. His religion is listed as Lutheran. Here FC had 4 children and married but there are no records of this nor of any occupation there.

I spoke with the Canadian Lutheran church and the records during his time are gone/missing/never collected, et al. Apparently, being a Lutheran preacher had a high turnover rate and records disappeared.

The main records HQ for that area of Canada is in Kitchener, although some lookups have found no records. In 1855-1857, Frederick moved to Kansas City, MO, St. Louis, MO, and even had a short stint in Leavenworth, KS all before settling in Shawnee, KS for the rest of his life.

I have copies of the wills for both Fred and Mary as well as the land deed for their 80 acres. Zero help on origin though.

What I am looking for directly is the following:

Records in Canada other than the 1852 Census.
Port/ship logs noting travel
Where in Germany he came from and therefore family
US Naturalization records

If you're related, please let me know especially if you're in Germany. Thank you for looking and helping.

Showing all 1 post

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion