Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 4 posts
Private User
9/13/2011 at 4:56 PM

I got a message that someone initiated a merge on a family member. I clicked on the link and saw this: http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/0117305e34a89cf86e60051b61e3af7...

How is this supposed to work? Please tell me this is a bug. Surely I'm allowed to see the profile of someone I'm being asked to merge into my cousin's profile.

Private User
9/13/2011 at 5:10 PM

Charming, isn't it? You can click on the link, send a message to the manager asking for a whole lot of info -- assuming that is still working.

But yes, as I understand it, that is currently the geni-team's idea of how it is supposed to be working. Certainly I and others have experienced the same thing.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 12:31 AM

The duplicate of your cousin's profile is not yet physically connected to you as your cousin, - i.e. a profile within your family group. It it was you would have access to complete merge it yourself.

It's like if I added a duplicate of your mother, - that should not automatically give me access to your family's profiles even if I had requested a merge on it. (In an earlier version of Geni it could, but that loophole is closed for a long time ago).

You have to approve it, but even when the first merge is completed I would not have access unless that made me connected to you as a real family group member.

There is however an option which makes it possible for you to do a cleanup on duplicates on private profiles: Contact the manager and ask gently of he/she could accept a (at least temporary) family group invitation. You find an option for that in the [Actions▼] menu in the top right corner of the users profile. It does however only give you access to that person's private profiles and not profiles added by for example a brother, - unless some of the completed merges makes them real family group members.

Private User
9/14/2011 at 4:41 AM

Bjorn, I'm not following you. Geni sent me a message telling me that someone attempted a merge. I have a message that says, "If you agree, accept the merge below." Do you notice how there's actually no option for me to accept the merge?
If you create a duplicate of my mother and then request a merge, maybe it shouldn't give you access to my family, but it sure should give me access to the profile that's attempting to merge with mine.

This is a flaw and I'd rather not get emails and notifications about these things if Geni has no intention of allowing me to to the work. My success record of getting family group access is running about 5%, and even then it takes up to a year for people to respond. I'm not holding my breath.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion