A project to search for Dutch ancestors...

Started by --jMVu-- on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
9/20/2011 at 5:31 AM

so George J. Homs do you happen to have some information about this aspect in your files?

9/20/2011 at 5:37 AM

Jason Wills sorry, I made some emphasis on the SURNAMES in your story, hope you don't mind, but that makes it much easier for people not used to write or read English to search for name they might know. Do you agree with making a name-list to on the page?

9/20/2011 at 5:40 AM

thanks. ive asked George Homs and Fred Bergman already for help in the past

9/20/2011 at 5:49 AM

Private User Dag Ko, wil jij wellicht eens kijken of je van dit profiel meer in Zeeuwsche Archieven kunt vinden? Ik denk dat de naam verengelst is en dat we ook moeten zoeken naar bijvoorbeeld Van der Voort etc.

Jonas Vandevord

Misschien heb je belangstelling mee te werken aan dit project?
groeten van greet de archief-madelief, die nu even een bootje over de Noordzee heeft gekaapt, jeannette.

9/20/2011 at 6:02 AM

My idea still is that there is a link to the van der Voort in Dendermonde. Descendants of those went to New Amsterdam. But, some may have stayed behind in Zeeland - and the went to Canvey. The reason for my 'theory' is that it looks that the van der Voorts escaped from Dendermonde (which was a protestant bastion but succombed to the Spanish), and that they went to Zeeland first. If I remember from my discussion with Jason, I think I found a van der Voort in the online records of Tholen, in fact. So, some may have stayed, some have left.
I'm seeing van der Voorts in Amsterdam too, but no idea about any relationship, though. The name is, of course, toponymic.
If I may add, in the New Amsterdam archives you'll see that the van der Voorts from Dendermonde were said to be 'from Zeeland', which suggests to me that they indeed might have settled there for a while.
But, that's simply conjecture :-)

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion