Merge Center - tree matches

Started by Private User on Friday, September 23, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
9/23/2011 at 7:07 AM

Hi,

In my Merge Center I have quite a few profiles that appear to hav an excessive number of Tree Matches - 50, 70 80 and some over 100 matches.

To go though all of these profiles and eliminate (or accept) the matches would be very tedious.

Is there some way that these can be "cleaned" or cleared"?

9/23/2011 at 11:33 AM

Good subject Alastair, so do I..

Private User
9/23/2011 at 2:39 PM

If they are female and married, I give them their husbands last name then reload the merge center page. If I then find matches, I act on them. Then edit the profile to remove the married name if it is not appropriate for the era I have removed as many as 100 so called matches that way. If that doesn't work, I just compare a few a day as I have time.

Private User
9/23/2011 at 2:44 PM

One thing I have found a lot of lately is private profiles managed by curators in times before the 1800s. I hope the curators are not to busy helping withe users with problems from the Geni "improvements" to work on their own trees.

Private User
9/23/2011 at 7:07 PM

Those could be "adopted orphans" Eldon. Since they're not in your "own" tree they're difficult to spot and fix.

Private User
9/24/2011 at 6:01 AM

Private User They show up in my merge center.and then I can't complete the merge. The only way I see to solve the problem is to go to the private profile and then message the manager. I believe that Geni notifies the manager of merge requests, so they should be done without someone contacting them. I am working on over 50 emails from Geni this morning. I look at them and resolve anything I can such as multiple parents, strange locations (USA before 1776, UK before 1700 or UK instead of England, Scotland etc.)

Private User
9/24/2011 at 10:11 AM

You are seeing legacy GEDCOM upload profiles!

I believe your method will work, but if not, the "zombies please" discussion, with a link as you can do. These are not solvee by the script but by the "check public" utility.

10/11/2011 at 5:15 AM

I have a problem with what Geni seems to think is an acceptable level of ridiculous matches that couldn't possibly be matches. If profile 1. is female with a maiden name and married name matches should not be appearing for females of the same first name, different birth name and married to someone with her birth name.
See this example with OVER 485 'matches':
http://www.geni.com/search/matches/330882975360002632
At a glance I would say the majority, if not all, are not matches at all.

10/11/2011 at 9:10 AM

I agree completely, Terry

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion