Simon Record

Started by jill hansen on Monday, September 26, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
9/26/2011 at 6:25 PM

My father has recently become a member of the Sons of the Revolution and Simon Record is his patriot. My father has alzheimers butbhe has been asked to share information about Simon Record at one of his meetings so I am searching for information for him. Can you share any info with me?
Thank you,
Jill Barteau

9/26/2011 at 8:05 PM

I hope another can answer you question -

this profile has came to my caretaking as a result of the merging of the 'big tree' GENI demands that we connect to thus they take us all way out of our initial tree our ancestors - your grandparents their siblings who married in the process we also gain control of abandoned trees that others connect to our profiles

i carry out each the the grandparents, their children who married and had children with name of spouses their are some lines I have develed further - the Emery's and hardesty's but i do not choose to chase each and every female spouse of an emery descendants backwards - tho i have chosen to chase every possible Emery descendants down to today whether male or female.

the briggs name does come in as a spouse of one of the Emery ancestors, that besides I do know the noyes and moutlon's also inter mary into the Emery's -

Private User
9/26/2011 at 9:06 PM

Hi Jill

It's very interesting to delve into the lives of our Patriot ancestors. I've been doing that lately as well, and on fact, we have a Project for that:

http://www.geni.com/projects/American-Revolutionary-War

If you can a little information, such as his SAR # to the profile, I can add him - and you, if you like - to help learn more.

10/1/2011 at 8:02 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I will see if I can get the DAR # and let you know what else I get. Thank you
Jill

10/12/2011 at 2:51 PM

Hi Erica. I was able to get the SAR #978851 and the DAR #A094020. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Private User
10/12/2011 at 3:45 PM

Jill your first step is to add those numbers to the Simon Record profile by editing the oveview. If you have copies of the documents the DAR and SAR number reference you can add them to the profile as documents.

Descriptions on how to do this are here

http://help.geni.com/entries/466680-how-can-i-add-a-document

If there's an image to add to the profile - tombstone, perhaps? - that would be great.

What we're after is building the facts within the profile your Dad can use as a visual description of his Patriot. Nothing like show and tell to make a meeting come alive!

10/12/2011 at 6:23 PM

Private User IT IS AGAINST THE RULES and regulations of the dar to post any copy of the DAR papers on line by any one -

Limitations to Use of the Record Copy You Receive

Copies of NSDAR membership applications or supplemental applications may not be resold, digitized, posted online, or published in any form. They are for the sole use of the person ordering the copy and may of course be cited or quoted in publications using appropriate citations methods. See American Genealogical Research at the DAR, Washington, D. C., Chapter 14, “ Citing, Quoting, and Reproducing DAR Sources” for more information.

http://www.dar.org/library/record_copy.cfm

also certain #'s are no longer acceptable as use in documentation for filing applications on dar paper's - i can;t not lay hand's on the begining $ that is acceptable - but the was made known to me ny a Maryland certified Genealogist who

Thus any DAR papers that are posted on Geni should be removed from any and all genI rpofiles because you are going AGAINST their policy - you may give them away privately but NOT OVER The INTERNET AS POSTED documents

Private User
10/12/2011 at 6:30 PM

It's fine to reference the DAR ancestor number. That is public information, NOT proprietary, does NOT imply proof of lineage. Different issues.

Private User
10/12/2011 at 6:32 PM

Sorry to not explain that more clearly. It's on their website so I assumed anyone knows it. I use text documents so I can make Geni profile citations.

10/12/2011 at 7:02 PM

sorry the way you wrote it above "If you have copies of the documents the DAR and SAR number reference you can add them to the profile as documents. " to me this implies that you are telling whom ever its is acceptable to scan and upload the actual DAR paper - and remember people DO NOT LIKE TO READ - they only read what they want to read - overlooking all other information provided - guess I am just an old stick in the mud

Private User
10/12/2011 at 7:39 PM

I understand the confusion. I am only talking about public information entirely available to anyone on their website. It is up to the user to ensure they do not violate the terms of that website, and proof of descent and application for membership in the DAR yet a third issue.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion