Has Geni terminiated the brand-new Public Access program already?

Started by Marilyn Jean Horn on Thursday, October 6, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
10/6/2011 at 3:50 PM

On 8/18/2011, in an attempt to mollify users who were upset with their ridiculous new policies, Geni announced that they were starting a public access program that would give library users free Geni Pro capabilities IF their library applied for an account and IF users used the library's computers (not from home or by using a wireless network in the library).

I am a Geni basic user whose tree has has been destroyed by the new policies that allow any Pro (i.e. paying) user to merge anybody they want without any input from the people who created the profile in the first place. (In my tree, someone merged two people that lived 3 centuries apart on different continents, just because they happened to have the same common first and last names. And that's just for starters.)

Anyway, I decided that I should try to be a good sport and see if I could work with all the limitations of the public access program (you can't access your notes, etc.) and tried it a few times.
Today, however, the program seems to have disappeared into thin air. When you log in, you still have only Basic capabilities. The librarian who applied for the account told me that she had not done anything to change the account, and had not received any notification whatsoever from Geni.

Does anyone know what's going on? Has the public access program been termininated (after less than a month)?

Private User
10/6/2011 at 4:42 PM

Marilyn

The Public access program has not been terminated. Can you let us which library is having the problem so we can look into it. Thanks

10/6/2011 at 4:43 PM

We have not terminated the program. It depends on knowing the Internet address ("IP address") of the library -- if they're using something like a cable modem, it's possible the IP address has changed. What library were you at?

10/6/2011 at 4:45 PM

Hmm, I see the Holliston Public Library is listed with the same address that you were logged in from, earlier today. What might have changed today, is that we released some updates to the site and perhaps we introduced a bug -- what exactly were you trying to do? Did your name in the header read "Geni Basic" beneath it, or "Geni Public Access" ?

Private User
10/6/2011 at 4:51 PM

Is there a list published somewhere of which sites have Geni public access?

10/6/2011 at 5:05 PM

Marilyn, it looks like a configuration error knocked out all public access. It should be fixed now -- sorry for the inconvenience!

10/6/2011 at 5:06 PM

David, not that I know of... maybe Private User knows more than I, about that.

Private User
10/6/2011 at 5:18 PM

No there is not list published

Private User
10/6/2011 at 5:24 PM

Could one be published and maintained?

It would seem a sensible thing to make Public where there is Public Access?

Doesn't seem to me that Public Access should be kept Private.

10/7/2011 at 6:54 AM

Thanks, Charles and Mike, for looking into this. I'm glad you found the problem. In answers to your questions, in case the info is still helpful, yes, I did see Geni Basic underneath my name, and, as you figured out, I was trying to access Geni from the Holliston Public Library. I may be the only one in my town (aside from the library staff) who knows about the program, but I'll be writing a review for the Holliston Historical Society to help publicize it.

I agree with the other users who requested that you post a list of the public libraries and other facilities that have signed up for this program. My town is very small, and the library hours are restricted. I've been able to access Geni from my local library only because I'm out of work right now. Once I'm working again (assuming that I'm able to find a job), it will be next to impossible to use Geni at my local library because the hours are so limited (and typical work commutes around here, at least in my field, are about an hour each way). Some of the larger libraries nearby are open for longer hours (and have better computer equipment to boot).

Thanks!

12/22/2011 at 5:12 PM

Now (12/22/11) it's gone again. Another configuration issue? Or what?

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion