Grandma and Grandpa's House in Penal

Started by Carlyle Lochan on Saturday, October 8, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 1 post
Today at 1:57 PM

@ Carlyle Lochan (Bunny)
Juney, thanks for your message about Grand ma and Grandpas house in Penal.

My memory perhaps nostalgic in nature is very vivid about my visits to that Penal house. The freedom I felt was tantamount to flying amongst the angels in the sky.

I remember when the yard was being spread with oil sand, your Dad took , about a 6" of hard steel pipe stood on it and rolled it with his feet to compact the oil sand. he had made himself a human steam roller. "Going" into the land I really enjoyed. After looking at the Tarzan movies, the Penal land was my jungle my own personal jungle and I got a thrill out of that looking for tigers, snakes and monkeys. It's amazing now that when one looks, it is very interestng how one acts as a child.

I remember the canal behind the cow pen, Victor and I would go into the canal and catch "7 colors" fishes, put them into a jam full of water and then take them to the "copper" behind the cow pen and set them free. I was always afraid that Grandma would get angry at us if she discovered what we had done. On our next visit we went to the "copper" and discover to our amazement that there were not fishes. We thought that if was discovered by Grandma and she took them out and did not say a word to us. I soon realized that this was not the case. I went to the "copper" sometime after lunch, stuck my hand in the water and it was extremely warm and I came to the conclusion that the fishes died due to the the water temperature and not Grandma.

The best room in Penal house was the pantry. When you entered it, there was a potpourri of odors. Grandma kept the corn for the animals in the there which gave it, it's own aromatic smell together with the smell of molasses, flour, other grains,herbs, and other food provisions. It was a distinct smell, a smell that I loved.

I think that I have written much for now.

More comments would be appreciated.

Bunny

Showing all 1 post

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion