Flash --> HTML5

Started by Magnus Nilsson on Monday, October 10, 2011

Participants:

Showing all 23 posts
10/10/2011 at 11:25 AM

Hi
Does Geni have any plans to use HTML 5 instead of Flash? The current site is a bit slow and doesn´t work on all platforms, such as iPad. Using HTML 5 seems like good choise to me.

Magnus

2/7/2012 at 10:53 AM

Hi Magnus,

Yes, we're working on an HTML5 version of the tree editor, which will be compatible with devices such as the iPad. We don't have a timeframe just yet, but keep your eyes peeled.

Thanks,
Brian G.

Private User
3/3/2012 at 3:50 PM

Great news.
Keep us posted, Brian G..

3/3/2012 at 5:48 PM

dan kunnen we op de IPAD tenminste ook aan GENI doen...!

3/8/2012 at 11:05 AM

Hear, hear: taking bets for Geni to arrive on iOS during 2013? ;)

A rough timeframe would be nice though, I've kept my eyes peeled for years now. Is there any chance of native HTML5/Canvas support on Geni going live before the end of 2012?

My own last connection to the "old PC world" is a non-Apple "Hackintosh", kept mainly because I like the retro feel of a physical keyboard sometimes, the need for access to some basic root filesystems, and without having to depend wholly on various jailbreakers. I'd love to be able to drop it though, and the rest of my regular minions are pretty much iDevices—with "The new iPad" on a very close horizon.

So, is there anything concrete to talk about from the assembly line? Say, for the end of March or thereabouts? ;P

Private User
3/8/2012 at 12:41 PM

Well, - if I tell that Brian is a new Geni employee where his main task is working with that kid of stuff, - does it help?

3/9/2012 at 6:40 AM

First, yes, that sounds reassuring, thanks Bjørn. Second, I'd congratulate Brian on landing a cool job. Third, I'd still call for a little more transparency on development itself—not limited to this particular topic alone, of course.

So, excuse me for perhaps swaying a bit off topic below, but I'd suggest it a good idea for Geni to try to write a monthly dev blog, or something similar.

Today, even the most stale and introvert multinationals at least acknowledge the potentials of maintaining some extrovert pre-dialogue with their audiences/consumers/prosumers through devblogs, touching on tech features, etc. For corporate entities that cannot reap the benefits of a fanatic fanbase, it's a chance to hint at and explain a general direction, to catch some initial feedback on various iterations, a shot at gaining positive momentum as well as generating interest in general.

Traditional announcements and press releases delivered fait accompli are of course simpler as the monologues they are, but can also cater for unintended impacts when finally landing impromptu in the lap of the unprepared. Limiting oneself as such introduces uneccessary exposure to risks that can effectively be minimized through some very simple and sound communications—with small efforts and resources.

Optimally, a good outcome would be pleasant flights and soft(er) landings for everyone involved enough to care about such values in the evolution of Geni.

Those would be my arguments for stepping up a notch and getting smarter communication wise. The channels are already in place and being used, it's a matter of widening the message and potential.

3/9/2012 at 7:47 AM

Olav Linno Poëll & Private User

Olav, thanks for the feedback. What you've said hits the nail on the head.

The devs (and everyone else) at Geni really want the service we provide to be awesome -- using the latest technology, being super performant, have a great user interface/experience. We want Geni.com to be an amazing experience because we, too, use it everyday.

That being said, we're working very hard. We have an alpha version of the HTML5 tree to be released to curators by the end of the week to be alpha-tested, broken, played with, etc.

3/9/2012 at 7:51 AM

As Olav wrote - a dev blog will be very good idea.
If a Beta tester is needed, I'd gladly volunteer.

3/10/2012 at 12:14 AM

I'm not a curator, but I have a lot of experience in system testing. How can I participate in the tests?

3/10/2012 at 1:43 PM

To all of us using an iPad, there is a web browser called PUFFIN (free), which is able to show Flash graphic - i.e. Geni tree. It is not perfect,but it works. A HTML5 Geni version would be much better, but for now it is a solution.

3/10/2012 at 2:08 PM

thank you, I will try it soon ! :-)

7/5/2012 at 3:42 PM

Four months later......any news or developments? We need that developers blog....nudge, nudge.

7/6/2012 at 8:02 AM

I couldn't agree more, Odd-Wiking Rahlff. We'll be releasing something **very** soon.

7/11/2012 at 11:41 PM

Brian G. Why the hell there are ?-marks for death date for living persons (even for claimed users)? This field shall be just empty!
I can accept it for marking unknown death date for deceased persons.

7/11/2012 at 11:52 PM

Lauri, this is still alpha and if you feel there's a bug, please file a ticket in Zendesk per your instructions in the curator discussion.

7/11/2012 at 11:52 PM
7/12/2012 at 6:43 AM

Lauri, please try to contain your outrage. It's a whole new version of the tree, there will be bugs.

7/12/2012 at 1:51 PM

Lauri Kreen, Ͼ We've pushed a fixed to display lifelines consistent with the Flash app.

7/12/2012 at 9:34 PM

It looks much better now.
It was an issue Yesterday only in Firefox, in Chrome there wasn't question marks.
By the way in Current version:
In Firefox generated twice warning about not responding script:
https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.7.1/jquery.min.js:2
In Firefox some horizontal lines are missing. In Chrome also the same horizontal lines are missing
In Firefox instead of Down Arrow symbol (OK in Chrome) is displayed the missing symbol/unckown encoding symbol/icon.

7/13/2012 at 1:04 AM

Brian and Laurie: You are discussing an alpha version of which I can find no link. That discussion should therefore probably move to another place, unless you would like the rest of us here to gladly provide alpha-feedback, well knowing that we are testing an unfinished, but greatly anticipated feature of Geni.

Private User
7/13/2012 at 2:33 AM

Brian posted a link to the alpha version above, but removed it again, probably because only Curators have access to the feedback and bug report system for it, and the flow of feedback, error reports and suggestions are probably high enough at this stage.

In the "Profile of the day" section of the blog they are already using the none-Flash version of tree view if you want to get a preview.

See example in http://www.geni.com/blog/profile-of-the-day-harrison-ford-375975.html

7/13/2012 at 7:25 AM

Anyone is welcome to try it out, but because it's not yet an official feature we are not accepting bug reports through Zendesk. We've also formalized the link ("appleseed" was just a development name), so the official link is:

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/html5

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion