Patriot - but not on DAR website

Started by Private User on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
10/11/2011 at 7:21 PM

So I find John Henry Fock who "served with the Franco-American army against the British redcoats in the American War of Independence."

I adder him to the DAR project - even though he is not a verified patriot on their DAR list

Should I do that ? Should I flag him some way ? He was a cousin by marriage to some verified Fitzpatricks

Private User
10/11/2011 at 7:32 PM

We have a better project perhaps for him - American Revolutionary War.

http://www.geni.com/projects/American-Revolutionary-War

I don't know much about the "Franco-American Army.". Is this a reference to General Lafayette?

10/12/2011 at 7:37 PM

Not 100% sure but sounds like it could be a reference to Lafayette or one of the lesser known French Generals who advised the embryonic American Army.

Which book did you find this quote in?

Also, I believe there may be a way to get your relative verified by the DAR through an application. It just requires a whole lot more paper work; at least that is my impression.

Private User
10/12/2011 at 7:48 PM

Here's the profile - nice job, Annelise!

John Henry Fock, 2nd Baron de Robeck

It looks like the main source was http://www.turtlebunbury.com/history/history_family/hist_family_der.... ?

Private User
10/12/2011 at 9:02 PM

FYI

(from source above)

The ill-equipped American colonials were quick to recognise the traditional French fondness for fighting the English. Invitations for military assistance were posted to the French capital. In July 1880, the Comte de Rochambeau dropped anchor at Rhode Island with a fleet of ships and 6000 soldiers. Amongst this vast army was "Lauzun's Legions", a light cavalry regiment of multi-lingual volunteers, considered to be the finest horse riders in Europe. Their leader was the chivalrous Duc de Lauzun, a favourite of Marie Antoinette and sometime lover to the "English Rose", Lady Sarah Lennox. Lauzun's Legion provided invaluable support to the Americans, taking part in the decisive defeat of the British Redcoats at Yorktown in the autumn of 1782.

Among the most gallant of Lauzun's officers was a nobleman named Johan Henrik Fock ...

Private User
10/12/2011 at 9:08 PM

Thanks, I've moved him over to the American Revolutionary War project

Private User
10/12/2011 at 9:08 PM

A great story, I just read it. I wonder if a sub project of the American Revolution on Geni could be Lauzun's Legions, and trying to identify their profiles on Geni? And Lady Sarah Lennox of course!

Private User
10/14/2011 at 6:43 AM

Just a side note: according to a second cousin of mine who is a member of the DAR, a patriot not on the list simply means no one has joined DAR through him. She's been trying to get me to join through an ancestor of ours not on the list.

10/21/2011 at 6:53 AM

@John Vogan I also have a Patriot that is not on the list, I have been researching for some time and trying to get into the DAR. I think I am very close. I am trying to get in through Pleasant Plains of Damascus branch. My John Vogan also has 3 brothers that were in the war and I have another person in my branch that is a Patriot, could I get in from him also? I have also been traveling to PA to gravesites. Found one of the brothers in New Holland Pa, (Voganville) James Vogan (patriot). Others of family in line, some of the grave stones not visible or broken, but have obits. It is alot of paper work

10/21/2011 at 8:07 AM

I have a book that lists all the Revolutionary War vets that settled in Washington County, GA, and I'm getting ready to include names of those who received land allotments on the related project: http://www.geni.com/projects/Washington-County-Georgia

I need some help!

10/21/2011 at 8:30 AM

It may be easier to get in on an ancestor that already has been proven and then prove your other ancestors service, and you link to him, at a later date.

That's actually what i am doing. Getting into DAR under John Baird; and planning to prove my other ancestor's, Johann Theodor Hoffmeister service at a later date.

For DAR purposes, you will need birth, marriage, and death certificates/records for the whole line you are trying to prove. So that is also something to keep in mind.

10/21/2011 at 9:07 AM

I know, very time consuming, which I have been doing for some time now, the only one that I have to find now is John Vogan. I have a military record from the Pennsylvania Archives that I found that he was in the Revoluntary War

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion