Brazilian African descendant of slaves

Started by Lúcia Pilla on Saturday, October 22, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Paulo Braz Felipe
    Geni member
Showing all 11 posts
10/22/2011 at 10:29 PM

I was embarrassed because there was no Brazilian African descendant of slaves I could find and I spent my Saturday trying to study it. I discovered that, in our case, the memory remained alive almost only when the descendants occupied the role of religious leaders. I built one of these tree: Paulo Braz Felipe and invited him to join Geni. I noticed that there are many other documented cases like this.

10/22/2011 at 11:05 PM

the Dutch were one of the first to embarc in Brasilia, not to trade in slaves, but they were searching for an alternative route to pepper and other expensive herbs etc., for the VOC had triggered them to explore later the Magelhaen-bocht. See also: WIC, VOC, etc. I will add you to these projects, ok? groeten van jeannette, the one on wooden shoes, you know?

10/22/2011 at 11:15 PM

the one on wooden shoes, you know? LOL Hello jMu, nice to meet you!

10/23/2011 at 12:38 AM

I think more slaves went to Brazil then to the United States.

10/23/2011 at 9:52 AM
10/23/2011 at 9:58 AM

I think (but please correct me, Lucia), that the overwhelming presence of Africans in Brazil has given that Brazilian society has a strong African influence - in terms of lifestyle, food, mentalities... Whereas Africans in Northern America were more 'assimilated' (they had to) - Africans in Brazil were able to maintain their own ways so much longer.
I read something about this a few months ago, and it was an interesting thought.

10/23/2011 at 10:44 AM

Could I tell you something about this in English, clearly? Well, I will try.
This is more or less true depending on the region of Brazil. For example, in Bahia, in northeastern, where the Portuguese arrived in 1500, the black influence is very strong, in cooking, religion, partys, music. It is also where the afrodescendant have more strength in social and political organizations. In São Paulo, southeast from Brazil, where I live, I dare say that the influence of Italian immigration overlaps the others. In Rio Grande do Sul, in southern, where I was born, the European influence is even stronger: I am a typical representative of the influence that prevails there, I have grandparents from Germany, Italia, Portugal and Spain, with a drop of blood from indigenous (I think, not proved). As the colonization was later there, almost had not slaves. Consequently, the racism is more frequent too.

10/23/2011 at 11:30 AM

Such a huge country, Lucia, there never is a 'general' truth, is there? :-)
Shame on my I never got there (yet).
Interesting what you say about Italians. I would never have thought that. Then again, YOU have Italian blood. And, yes, we'll find ways to sort that out too :-)

10/23/2011 at 11:40 AM

Lucia has the Brazilian immigration project going, George. Check it out!

10/23/2011 at 11:42 AM
10/23/2011 at 2:11 PM

Brazil received about 38% of all African slaves who were brought to America. The total amount of sub-Saharan Africans who arrived in Brazil is very different estimates. According http://www.slavevoyages.org/tast/index.faces; jsessionid = 0A6CC1AA4C4D16DE06B2D060BDFE5F02, quoted by Wikipedia, from 1501 to 1866, were shipped from Africa to Brazil 5,532,118 Africans, of which 4,864,374 came alive (667,696 people died in the slave ships in transit Africa-Brazil). Brazil was by far the largest target country for slaves in the world. In comparison, in the same period, bound for North America were shipped 472,381 Africans, 388,747 of whom arrived alive (83,634 did not survive).

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion