GEDCOM's - Calling all GENI users with unworkable GEDCOM's

Started by Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Participants:

Showing 31-39 of 39 posts
Private User
6/30/2012 at 2:46 PM

The two problems I have are...

The notes ('About this Event') are present in the gedcom for defined events (birth/death/marriage/baptism etc) but not acceptable to FTB.

Non-defined events (which should have an EVEN tag) are not in the gedcom.

The expected profiles are there, but haven't done a full check.

Private User
7/1/2012 at 4:53 AM

Judi. I've been using the forest gedcom - that must be the difference, as I've got all relationships, apart from some with obvious errors. Photos and documents imported perfectly. Wish it had events, but they're not in the API either, so I can't extract them specially.

12/4/2012 at 1:31 PM

I have finally found the key to getting a full GEDCOM - BLOOD Lineage brings down the full family ancestors and descendants

the only problem I am seein gis that it is not bring the female spouse down with their MAiDEN NAMES - it is bring them down with only their married names

Plus there are alot of just inital only names such as "T. Hardesty " I am having to go through the GEDCOM and delte every one of hese profiels as they will cause complete choas whenmerged with my main Hardesty file - I am not chancing screwing up my 36+ years work that I have almost cleaned back up from the last GEDCOM merged into because I trusted the person when he said it was "CLEAN" and documented it was far from clean as he had chased the females ancestry also the documentation was internet only and a great precent of the were no longer valid and other lead to a paid site forcing people to join and re-buy the information that should on been anstracted into it.

Job - you said i should have more patience - the way I do my gedcoms shows that i have patience and understanding of how a GEdcom should present -

My patience lacks when some one is to dam lazy to clean up their files and gedcoms they import into their files - that has reaked that havco here on GENI whe they allowed GEDCOMS in the past

back to work

12/4/2012 at 2:38 PM

Judith,

If possible make a full copy of ALL your data before trying to import gedcom data! (just be sure make multiple copies on different media)

Keep in mind that a gedcom import in most systems will NOT detect any duplicates (even if the data matches perfectly, which is very unlikely)
Also in most systems there will NOT be any linking between the imported gedcom data and the original data.

Also there are many different gedcom dialects and some data may get lost on import (or be placed in wrong fields)!

There is a Dutch program that can do better then most other programs but is a bit hard to use and only available with Dutch language interface (you would have to depend on Google to figure out how to use it).

It is called Gedcompare and available from http://aldfaer.net/sitemap//index.php?q=node/10040

12/4/2012 at 4:23 PM

We need to post problems we have all found in one spot on GECOM downloads from GENI that do not compat with Family Tree, Legacy, PAF=Personal Ancestery

major issues I have found thus far are:

1 - If maiden names are listed int the profiles they are being usurped by the SURNAME thus the female spouses MAIDEN NAME becomes that of her husbands surname - to me this is unacceptable

2 we have all been prone to use Jane/Jeane Mckee to show the different spellings and I am just as guilty BUT PAF5 does not like this when the GEDCOM is converted they went to using this method of data entry for names Jane/Malinda/Jones we are going to have all take note and change our variations to within ()

3 Thus far there seems no problem with names marked as 'Jane' or "Jane"

of the HArdesty download from GENI I have thus far taken out 753 profiles of the 5666 - changed the above problems - and eliminated all the just initial profiles such as T. Hardesty for the time being - going to do a case clean-up and double check things

12/5/2012 at 12:07 AM

Judy,

There probably differences between what Familily Tree, Legacy and PAF will understand from the same Geni GEDCOM file.

Like I said, there are many dialects a the GEDCOM standard and most programs understand only very few dialects without making some errors.

So it may help to list problems per program or
specify per problem which programs are suffering from it.

If Geni is willing to facilitate exports for certain programs the first option (specify per program which are the problems) may be the easiest for them to fix the issues.

There are some naming conventions (see http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Naming_Conventions) and sticking to them will make it easier to put the right information into correct fields of the GEDCOM file

Besides you have to keep in mind that the gedcom standard uses a / between name fields so using a / in a name field will make it impossible for the the name fields to be correctly imported.

Some programs may take a name between ' or between " to be a nickname.

Also be aware about different data formats. Mostly this will not be a big issue for date fields (be sure to check if days and months are not exchanged).
Some dates may be converted to text by an importing program, be sure to check and see if the program does not change the date format in doing that!
Also be aware dates in text may be understood incorrectly by users that use a different date format.

12/5/2012 at 12:56 AM

I took a straight 5.5 gedcom and there were no maiden names for female spouses that have the husbands surname listed in that blank - right now for a gedcom that was not to have imported I am in the process of trying to catch those females spouses -

I Just think that if it is promised that the maiden name of if female will hold presidence over he married surname(s) and be exported in a GEDCOM from GENI then it should be And I have enterd the fist name in its blank, the middle in its blank and the maiden name in its blank and the husbands surname where it belongs

there are a few that I have only entered a womans maiden name and omitted her married name and those profiels come down as should be.

Lucky I do have the one I spent 2-3 hours cleaning up At least I did get my data i entered direct into GENI =-

I am getting to be an old pro at cleaning up GEDCOM messes so my patience is more that you can ever realize

besides anything I take down from sites like Ancestry I open up and I clean up all the living, unknown, blank marriages and weed out any other problems I might see and then make a whole new gedcom to enter into a file there are few people that even take time to does this I believe

12/5/2012 at 12:58 AM

I will open in legacy to see what i get as i still have the origianl down load and can send it to whom ever to prove only the married name of the female spouse is being exported

12/5/2012 at 3:41 PM

Judith "Judi" Elaine (McKee) Burns,

Did you see that you can do a gedcom export with type PAF compatible export? (there is list of types of gedcoms you can choose from at http://www.geni.com/gedcom)

Showing 31-39 of 39 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion