Is it important to know some-ones origin or race?

Started by -geni-NL-gids- Jeannette. on Saturday, November 12, 2011
Showing all 7 posts
11/12/2011 at 1:34 AM

This profile is mentioned GERMAN of JEWISH origin. But the origin of species is so discuss-full, that I would like to defend a profile status without the 'need' to communicate whether it's a CHRIST, PALESTINE, INDIAN, CHINESE, MOSLIM or whatever bloods streams/fleeds through one's vessels... It's the spirit of life as long as some-one can prove he/she lived according to intercontinental laws, national moods, international beliefs and ofcourse his/her own geweten. And when parents give their nazaten een goed geweten, is het laakbaar daar later een etiketje op te plakken.

11/12/2011 at 11:58 AM

Considering that the Germans considered Jews to be less than human and slaughtered 6 million of them in concentration camps, it is ENTIRELY relevant to this profile that a famous and prize winning German writer was Jewish in his ancestry. It's why if you go to the new Holocaust museum in Berlin, you will find a wonderful exhibit on the many contributions to Germany science, arts, and literature by German Jews.

While it's very nice to look at other humans purely as human and ignore race, ethnicity, or religion the fact is that ethnic groups are still slaughtering each other and that some groups are still discriminated against. It is positive to celebrate both someone's ancestry/ethnicity and their human and national achievements.

11/12/2011 at 12:15 PM

ok. i see your point, and I cannot tell here my ancestries pain etc. so i will not fill in these kind of information, but ofcourse everyone is free to do so for it's own ancestry. hope really that all descendants of these profiles agree with this way of making MP's, but I had this experience before with someone in my direct -husbands- genealogy, so lets not make it a DISCUSSION, but just an exchange of thoughts, ok?

11/12/2011 at 4:21 PM

That's fine. His Jewish ancestry may not have even been mentioned in the very long and detailed About Me, but was just one small fact about him.

Also, remember that Christian is term that is applied to one's religious belief, but that Jewish is both a religion and an ethnicity. So one can be a Jewish atheist for instance.

11/12/2011 at 4:22 PM

Also the fact that he was a leading literary figure in Germany not long before the rise of Nazism and was of Jewish ancestry is relevant because of the period he lived in. It might not be relevant in another 100 years.

11/12/2011 at 7:29 PM

For me, it's important to include because I come from a very multi-ethnic/multi-racial family, and having that information on the profile helps me see how it all comes together. Also, many people are very proud of their ethnic identities, so including a mention on their profile is a nice way to show something that helped make them who they were.

As Hatte said, seeing our individual characteristics doesn't mean we're trying to segregate people. It actually has the opposite effect in my tree -- looking at people as individuals and then seeing how they all come together as a group gives me hope for the future of our world, a future with everyone working together regardless of differences.

11/13/2011 at 12:22 AM

wish i could know why my mother gave me what my grandmother called 'a jewish name' like jeannette, double n, double t, so not the english way. I'm sure i am the daughter of Herman, but I think she has seen to many things while she was for some --too long because of fail of safe-signals-- period underground because of http://www.geni.com/projects/t-Bombardement-op-Rotterdam-∴-14-mei-1...
I do not have any good photograph or even possessions of my mother before the got the age of 21, for the only thing she could take before she had to go with her mother of age and very ill to the -schuilkelder- in de direct neighbourhood of her home, were here -onduleerijzers- that is what kappers use to curl the hairs of rich women in the LIJNBAAN in R'dam. It's only one example of why she was christian, but not the way some think it is nowadays. I would NEVER add a religion to the profiles of my parents, I did once and directly my brothers deleted it, so why is it necessery to do so for ancestry far more before? Do we really know whether they were katholic to be able to let nazis think they were not?

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion