The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

"A Delusion of Satan" by Frances Hill (1995)

Started by Private User on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
Private User
11/13/2011 at 5:21 PM

Thomas "Tom" Frederick Allen recommended this book in another discussion and I have to stop myself from ordering it right now.

Here's the Amazon page

http://www.amazon.com/Delusion-Satan-Frances-Hill/dp/0306807971

Thank you, Tom. I've joined you as a collaborator to this Project.

11/13/2011 at 7:09 PM

I was about to order it myself! Thank you Tom.

11/14/2011 at 8:37 AM

I know you will enjoy it. I was fascinated by the facts and stories that are related in the book. I also did not realize how many relatives I had that were involved in the trials, from judges to victims. Ann Putnam, who was one of the main conspirators in the whole mess was my second cousin.
Why would you make a urine cake?????

Private User
11/14/2011 at 8:46 AM

I am related to the Ipswitch witches! I had no idea until a few weeks ago.

It was all political. My ancestresses were accused because their husbands were independent thinkers and sassed the Puritan ministers some years earlier. But now these women were widows without the same protection. One grandmother was thrown in jail, soon to be joined by her daughter ... And 15 year old grand daughter.

Private User
11/14/2011 at 8:48 AM

Oh and I had a Concord direct ancestor who accused a Bradford - I think his wife had an issue with her wife. That one didn't work out so well -- the Bradfords got really angry-- and my guy had to relocate to Lexington. :)

11/16/2011 at 8:15 AM

(This is Robert's wife Patricia) I am related to William John Towne he is a 9th GGrandfather, two of his daughters were hanged as witches. How exciting to find this Project. Robert is also related to William John Towne but it's as 8th cousin, 13 x removed.

11/17/2011 at 12:14 PM

Rebecca Towne has been listed as an ancestor of mine. Daughter of Joanna Blessing and William Towne. On another branc of my family a Sussana Towne is listied reltaed to Giles Corey. Do you any facts about this as I have heard it may be incorrect?

Private User
11/17/2011 at 12:26 PM

Not a family ive researched. Do you have a link? I believe the profile is curated and there should be links within it, or with nearby family.

11/18/2011 at 1:06 AM

@ Leona Scott: Rebecca Towne has also been listed as an ancestor of mine on my mother's side. She was the first witch to be executed & found guilty. I am also related to Sarah Towne Cloyce wo was not indicted by the grand jury. Therefore, @ Robert Stanley Martin, I am most likely related to you as well, as the two witches that were twins and the first to be executed Rebecca Towne Nurse & Sarah Towne Cloyce were descendants of my mother!

11/20/2011 at 8:43 AM

@Linda Donahue: That's interesting, so, you are also related to Mary Estey Towne another sister who was hanged for witchcraft.

11/20/2011 at 8:57 AM

On my grandmother's side, I am also descended from Giles Corey. I was thrilled to find that out. My ancestor, Benjamin Barney married Abigail Corey, his granddaughter. He was accused of witchcraft, but denied it to the end and had the punishment of stones piled on him til death. I am proud of him and his spirit.

11/20/2011 at 10:24 AM

@Linda Donahue I am Robert's wife Patricia Callanan, I do his lineage. This Membership is in his name, I didn't want to have to purchase two memberships to have both of our trees.

My Sister Kathleen Callanan does our side under her name.

It is We, Kathleen and Patricia, NOT Robert who is directly related to the Townes and YES we would be related.

So nice to meet you.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion