Call for Helpers on the SA tree

Started by Sharon Doubell on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-50 of 50 posts
2/17/2012 at 2:07 AM

The list of helpers looks like this at the moment:

*Cobie Petrus Jacobus Botha, b1c7d2e2f4g11h1i4j3k1 speaks English.
**Working with: Botha, Van der Walt, Raubenheimer and Venter.

*Willem Breet speaks English & Afrikaans?
**Working with: Breet; van Rooyen; Labuschagne; Fourie; Pieterse; Bakker; Shaw

*Private User speaks ENGLISH & Afrikaans
**Works on the French Huguenot tree; offers to help in writing/putting facts in a succinct, chronological and logical manner in English if anyone needs help in this area.

*Tony De Buys speaks ENGLISH

*http://www.geni.com/people/Wynand-Andr%C3%A9-du-Plessis/60000000023... speaks AFRIKAANS

*Therese Ferreira speaks ENGLISH

*Michelle Alicia Terblanche speaks AFRIKAANS, English and German
**"Ek is bereid om te help waar ek kan met die volgende bome waaraan ek werk. Abel Taylor (SV), Thomas Kemm (SV), Johannes Hermanus Kotze, Salomon (Solomon) Stephanus Terblanche, Adam Barnard."

*Mauritz Preller Speaks ENGLISH and AFRIKAANS ZA Genealogy

*Private User speaks ENGLISH.
**Working with: Sheldon, Fahrenfort, van Driel, Hitzeroth, Borcher, Brink, Burgess, Dryden, Doubell,Greyling, Hampshire, Howard, Jones, Petterson, Sasman, Swanepoel, Wood

*Private User speaks ENGLISH. Not based in South Africa. Offers help with http://www.geni.com/projects/Early-Jewish-Settlers-of-South-Africa Early Jewish settlers in SA

* Private User ] ENGLISH speaking. Willing to help users get started, do merges and help with projects, researching Jewry that migrated to South Africa and Australia

*Carolle Marquard Carolle Marquard. Help with Marquard family; Malan / Beyleveld heritage. I have docs. here too on Murrays, Rexes.of Knysna which ought be added some time as well as Malans and Marquards. .Access too to de Wet/Petersens/Moltenos and others. So if you need some Snail participation, glad to help ENGLISH.

*Norman James Alexander Jamieson

*Private User

*Private User ENGLISH

*Brian Nelson, b2c2d3e3f3g5h15i2j1 speaks ENGLISH and Afrikaans, & works on the Nel, Zeederberg, Vorster, Botha & Brits lines.

Private User
2/17/2012 at 3:07 AM

Hi Sharon. Will help where I can. I speak English and Afrikaans. Working on Lourens, Herbst, Duckitt, Versfeld, Steyn, van Niekerk lines. Can also help with other surnames.

2/17/2012 at 4:15 AM

Thanks Lea - i'll add that, doll ;-)

2/21/2012 at 11:58 AM

Hi Sharon,
I am prepared to help where ever I can. I do not think I have a particular area of expertise, but do have many years of experience. Let me know what I can do
Regards
Guillaume

2/21/2012 at 11:09 PM

Hi Guillaume - excellent news - I will add you to the links!

2/22/2012 at 3:05 AM

Thanks Guillaume - How great are our SA users? :-)

2/26/2012 at 2:17 AM

Hey Sharon, just a note, I speak English and Afrikaans, have a great day!

2/27/2012 at 12:04 AM

Thanks Cobie - I've added that. Remember that y'all can edit and add on the projects too.

2/27/2012 at 1:15 AM

D/Sharon, I am Kobus Naude from Jeffreys Bay. I am not certain as to how the South-African tree works. Do I transfer the Naude, Terblanche, Grobler, Engelbrecht trees I have been working on to the S/Afrcan tree but retain what I am working on on my tree? Many persons have added names to my tree so I am not certain how much of the details I have access to will be transferred. Will let you know on receipt of your reply and details as to how to proceed to access the S/African Tree. I am no expert at these matters so please give details. Thank you. Kobus Naude.

Kobus Naude.

2/27/2012 at 1:27 AM

Hello Kobus

Good to have you on Geni. You will find that the majority of your tree (shared by many!) is already on Geni and you do not need to add the people yourself, but need to merge your tree into the main/big tree. We can help you with the merging of Public profiles - it is probably a good idea to stop adding people to your tree until the merge has been done and you know that they are not yet there!
Let us know how we can help

June

2/27/2012 at 1:38 AM

I did the entire van Pletzen/ Rautenbach & Putter Family tree on Geni, I however do not want to participate anymore on your site as I personally think it is a mess assome collaborators just add family without verification of the line to which a member belongs. Further more it is unfair to expect people like me now to pay to become a pro member whereas the owner/s of the site is making money out of hard gained information in some cases we have paid to get that information You people must realy reconsider using this site any longer because they making money out of us.Business wise they should reimburse us for the info we have provided to get their site going

2/27/2012 at 1:43 AM

Welcome to our South African family, Kobus - my 7th cousin. (Which, as Geni can show me that link - suggests you are already merged into the big tree with us all.)

I've added you to our Welcome page too. (Just remove yourself if you hate the idea!) :-)

2/27/2012 at 1:49 AM

Jan - Curators aren't employed by Geni; and we protested very loudly about exactly what you are objecting to. But we find that it is still the most flexible way to share our info informally. We also try and use the FaceBook page we set up ourselves http://www.facebook.com/groups/243811932355680/
to circulate info freely between SA users.

2/27/2012 at 3:33 AM

Hi Jan - the SA tree is a great deal improved since we have the team of curators working on it - the big picture is good and getting better. If you can let us know where there are problems which need attending to we can try to fix things. We are always trying to encourage people to be more thorough with their input and to add sources - there are many topics covered at http://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-Genealogical-Reference-C.... If there are places where good information has been compromised please add source documents and comments in the "About" section to support your information.

There is no other place where the communal aspect of Geni can be found. Any serious genealogist would not rely on keeping their records on Geni - I have my personal tree recorded in a PAF where I am in control on my Mac - on Geni I share my ancestry with many and have managed to link up with family I would not have know if it was not for Geni. Yes - I have spent money on researching my tree (and that of sections not connected to me directly) - and I have personally added in excess of 10 000 profiles - for the greater good of the tree. It pleases me to share what I have.

I hope that you decide to adjust your outlook slightly and stay - many of us are very grateful for the contribution made to the tree by so many - the higher up the tree you go the more people you will find sharing "management" of profiles. This is the nature of Geni - and through your connection to that part of the tree you will have access to more branches of the tree (if you are collaborating with others that will open the tree to you).

I am connected to you - Jan Carel Putter is your 7th cousin once removed.

2/27/2012 at 6:14 AM

June I do have my own tree on record but trying to assist on geni was a fruitless execise as you will find that certain collaborators messed up the time lines to such extent that sons are parentsto their parents and cousins being mixed - up So any one doing a family tree from geni are so but so n the dark and moe confused than anything else I havetried to fixed some of the stuff myselves but gave up. Beter doing it over instead of collaborating.

2/27/2012 at 7:23 AM

Well - this is why we are curators - we try to keep things in order - sometimes seems to be an up hill struggle but we do get there - even if it is something we have to do again and again! Judi and I have work some lines so often that we have lost count - but things are improving!

So - tell me where we need to go and we will - it is up to people like you to alert us to where we are needed in order for us to repair and in some cases prevent further damage. If you could let us have some profile addresses where there is a problem - for example where sons are parents etc. we can fix that and then put certain measures in place to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Private User
5/29/2013 at 1:49 PM

My interest is settler Alexander Forbes and getting every descendant from his 8 children into the tree.. Alexander forbes project... Would that help within the SA tree

5/30/2013 at 3:20 AM

Yes, Lisa - All research on the SA tree benefits us. Do need help starting that project, or have you already? Just yell if you want me to get it going for you.

Private User
5/30/2013 at 3:33 AM

I have started my project Alexander and Jane Forbes Project for all descendants and have started loading death notices.. I am happy to share to cut down on duplicating everyone asking naairs and mormon churches for the same documentation!!! Can help with any of these descendants!!! Penny, Duffey, Coleman, Scott, Francis, Holder, Dean, Isted, Green, Milton and too many more to name!!!

5/30/2013 at 7:35 AM

Go girl!

Showing 31-50 of 50 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion