Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
11/14/2011 at 6:44 PM

Swedish women did not take their husband's name until the late 1800's. From 'Swedish naming practices in earlier times, surnames'
http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/Naming%20practice_eng.htm

"When a man and a woman got married the woman never adopted her husband’s patronymic name - a name ending with "son". A woman could never be someone's son.
If they both had a family name, the woman still kept her family name. If the husband had a family name and the woman a patronymic name she might change her last name to her husbands family name. But it was not very likely to occur before the 1800's.
It did not become a custom for a woman to adopt her husband's surname until the end of the 1800’s, when most families had adopted family names."

11/14/2011 at 7:54 PM

Steve, I'm tagging the managers of that profile (Private User and Rose-Marie Karlsson) for you so you two can work it out.

I'm guessing you're talking about Kerstin Svensdotter, not Elin Andersdotter?

Private User
11/14/2011 at 11:04 PM

Steve have already corrected the first profile.

He is correct, and it is a general problem that people fabricate a fact as a married name in the Nordic lines - Nordic women always kept their birth name throughout the life until late 1800.

First in 1923 we got a legislation which formally allowed a married name in Norway, but it was of course a floating change that started around 1880 in the cities influenced by the Danes which started some earlier.

Taking the husbands name is not so common anymore in Norway, so you can probably never call it a tradition.

Private User
11/15/2011 at 1:22 AM

Kerstin changed!
(In Sweden the law forcing women to take husbands name was established in 1921. In the law 1963 women were again permitted to keep their maiden names and in 1982 the procedures for that were simplified. )

11/15/2011 at 8:54 AM

I started the discussion, because Elin Andersdotter's husband's patronym was re-added, after I had removed it. Hopefully this will resolve the naming disagreement.

Norwegian names on Geni have the additional problem of lack of agreement, on what field to enter the farm-name.The suggested convention is to put the farm-name in the Surname field, but many people have been putting it in the Maiden-Name field. A few have even put it in the Middle-Name field.

I think the best solution would be for Geni to have Patronym and Farm-Name fields, that could be used when applicable.

Private User
11/15/2011 at 9:19 AM

Steve: There is only one rule: Don't fabricate facts ;-)

Entering the farm name when you have no indication in sources that it was used, is fabrication of a fact.

Private User
1/18/2012 at 12:25 AM

I agree about this. It was first in the year of 1920 that weman were forst to take there husband´s surname.

Private User
1/18/2012 at 1:20 AM

In Finland the marriage law of 1930 dictated women have to take the husband's name. But it wasn't uncommon before that year. http://www.genealogia.fi/nimet/nimi31r.htm

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion