• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
11/19/2011 at 5:52 PM

Thank you, Annemarie (aka my 32nd cousin) for this much-needed project topic. My goal for several years now has been to find living relatives in Ireland.

This is lost history, but not ancient history: my great-grandmother came to Boston from Ireland and died in 1943. Here's what I have:

On Feb. 10, 1861, in Dunmanway, CORNELIUS SULLIVAN married JANE GORMAN. To my knowledge, they had four children:

* Anne (b. Sept 17, 1865)
* Michael (b. Aug 5, 1867)
* Cornelius J. (born Nov. 7, 1869)
* Jane (b. Dec. 4, 1871)

Meanwhile, WILLIAM DONOVAN marries JULIA COLLINS (marriage date and place unknown). They had at least three children in Shiplake, Dunmanway:

* Eliza (b. July 1, 1864)
* Johanna (b. Sept. 24, 1867)
* Mary Ellen (b. March 15, 1878)

CORNELIUS SULLIVAN and HANNAH DONOVAN emigrate to Boston sometime in the late 1880s. They marry in 1896, in the States. They are my great-grandparents.

There is also a JOHN DONOVAN, who spent his life as a manservant in Boston and lived to be 92. He was either a brother or cousin to Hannah.

Additional info:

1) CORNELIUS's godparents were named Thomas Murray and Mary Crowley.

2) HANNAH's godparents were John Hurley and Margaret Collins.

3) Witnesses to the marriage of CORNELIUS SULLIVAN and JANE GORMAN were Elizabeth Gorman and John Gorman, relation unknown.

ANY help in tracking down living descendants of these families in Ireland would be greatly appreciated. Establishing this connection while my mother is still alive would be a great lift to her spirits, and to mine.

Thank you!
TSL

Private User
11/20/2011 at 1:24 AM

Hi Tim, well I find Geni the best place to find living relatives, so the start is made :)
Did you check the 1901 and 1911 census from Dunmanway for family who stayed behind ?http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

Private User
11/20/2011 at 12:37 PM

Annemarie:

Thank you for the link: you are the second person inside of a week to suggest that URL to me.

Using it, I found what is likely to be the O'Sullivan family, at 35 Main St., Dunmanway. Jane O'Sullivan (nee Gorman) does not appear, so I presume she was deceased by 1900.

The Donovans continue to be harder. I'm continuing my search and will keep you posted.

Thank you for your help!
TSL

Private User
11/15/2012 at 12:30 PM

Private User did you try www.irishgenealogy.ie ?

Private User
11/15/2012 at 12:38 PM

I will check if IrelandXO (Ireland Reaching Out) has a parish admin in Dunmanway, they are great with local information on families who have lived there and local history, and with the Gatherrin 2013 coming up they are quite active, I will ask and get back to you

http://www.irelandxo.com/

Private User
11/15/2012 at 12:39 PM

Gathering I meant, oops :)

Private User
11/15/2012 at 12:48 PM

Thank you, Anne-Marie!!

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion