Jessima McNeil

Started by Ashley on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
11/20/2011 at 11:03 AM

Jessima Knowles (maiden name: McNeil) is one of my third-great-grandmothers. She was born c. 1845 and emigrated to the Bahamas. She may have stopped somewhere else before arriving there; common stops were Bermuda, Jamaica, and the eastern U.S. She married George Maxwell Knowles in the Bahamas on February 15, 1861.

I know that's almost nothing to work with, but I'm always hoping that with that unusual first name and unusual ending location, maybe she'll ring a bell for someone eventually.

Private User
11/21/2011 at 1:22 AM

Kenneth Kwame Welsh you might be able to help here Jessima went to the Bahama's might have stopped in Jamaica

Private User
11/21/2011 at 1:38 AM

Ashley ,the name Jessima is not very common in Ireland but used quite a lot in the United Kingdom. Does the 1861 marriage record give the name of her parents maybe? She got married very young if she was married at 16 there might have been a special marriage license maybe with the father giving permission for the marriage. Also if you know where and when she died you might be able to obtain a death record that might give you more information about her exact age and birth location ect

Private User
11/21/2011 at 2:06 AM

Ashley how sure are you that Jessima was born in Ireland and not in the Bahama's from Irish parents?

11/21/2011 at 4:29 AM

Oral tradition says she was born in Ireland but not where. Her death record has never been located. Her marriage record is only a parish record with no other deatails. Many Bahamian records have been lost over the years due to storms and a series of fires in Nassau.

Marriages under age 18 have always been common there. I have ancestors who married at 14 and 15.

I mention Jamaica as conjecture; there's no evidence she ever was there. I'm merely pointing out that stops before the Bahamas were common.

Private User
11/21/2011 at 5:52 AM

I know you are only pointing it out that she might have stopped in Jamaica, but everything is worth checking I believe. Do you have a rough idea when she died ?

11/21/2011 at 8:14 AM

Lots of people stopped in Jamaica, and even some of my ancestors/people stopped in St. Vincent or smaller island.

11/21/2011 at 8:19 AM
Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion