The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Ideas and suggestions wanted for the USA Portal

Started by Private User on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 25 posts
Private User
11/23/2011 at 12:02 AM

Hi all,

Please let us know if you have ideas or suggestions to improve the USA portal , what would you like to see added and what is missing ?
Also if you have a good idea for a USA related project you can just start one
Feel free to be creative after all it is YOUR portal

11/23/2011 at 12:32 AM

I would like to see under the individual State sub-projects County info. For example, I started a Washington County, Georgia project. I have so much info on that place.

Please add YOUR County of origin!

Private User
11/23/2011 at 12:39 AM

The idea was to add a sub project for every state but I was stopped in my tracks , Someone thought I was creating shell projects LOL
So now we just have to create the State sub projects one by one, add all the info we have then when it looks like a proper project start the next State project
So if anyone feels the urge to start a state project please do so, I agree with Kenneth (jeez have to stop agreeing with you all the time Kenneth Kwame Welsh ;)

11/23/2011 at 12:53 AM

Don't let anyone stop you! You're on the right track, Annemarie!

I will add a few more this week! Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Private User
11/23/2011 at 1:04 AM

Well had no choice as they were deleted :)
Thanks Kenneth I will do the same, add a few more, will leave Penn, Maryland, Virginia to you

Private User
11/23/2011 at 7:02 AM

I've been thinking about this for a while.

I think I will make an umbrella project for Colonial America with a timeline, and fill in the colonies that way.

So for the state of Massachusetts project, related projects would be
- Plymouth Colony
- Massachusetts Bay Colony
- Province of Massachusetts
- commonwealth of Massachusetts

The "early settlers of ..." projects would be related depending on when the town incorporated.

Etc.
-

Private User
11/23/2011 at 7:04 AM

Kwame be careful on the Colonial entities, particularly Virginia. We need to plot out the timeline.

Private User
11/23/2011 at 7:29 AM

Private User that sounds like a well planned idea, I like umbrella projects, great way to organize and keep it all together and Colonial America is such a big subject so this is the best way to go about this I think.

11/23/2011 at 5:04 PM

Annemarie... I am so sorry that happened to you. I did that with Civil War states, years, etc, without even any profiles just text, and no one deleted them.

I got the feeling in looking at some of the other countries portal's that they were offering help to people from other countries who needed it...like if you don't speak German but need help with German records, to go there. I am not seeing that on the USA portal...did I miss it?

11/24/2011 at 3:27 AM

Thanks for your help, Erica!

11/24/2011 at 3:28 AM

Get it started! No better time than Thanksgiving! lol

Private User
6/29/2012 at 12:58 PM

Hello All! I have started a project for my home state of California. Please join if you are interested in "The Golden State". :)

http://www.geni.com/projects/State-of-California/12214

7/1/2012 at 8:52 AM

Sorry, I have a question regarding the individual "State Projects". I was invited to join this group recently, but an not actually collaborating. This is fine, as I do not have a lot of time working full-time and am starting work on a doctoral dissertation. However, I was wondering if there is a state project index of something to help with navigation.

I am currently investigating a possible family connection to the original settlers of New Sweden which was founded in the 1630s by the Swedish government. New Sweden became part of Deleware, and strangely enough a large percentage of the settlers were Finnish farmers known as "Forest Finns".

Anyway, for those who have time for such a project, you might consider a Deleware project on the Nordic Settlers of New Sweden.

Private User
7/1/2012 at 9:29 AM

Interesting idea, Carl. It sounds like it could be part of http://www.geni.com/projects/New-Sweden-Main-Project/9016 grouping

Private User any thoughts?

7/1/2012 at 4:33 PM

Robert and I touched base earlier today, though I have not had time to visit his project site.. Thank you.

Private User
8/15/2012 at 5:55 AM

Item of interest

Pioneers Turned Millionaires........ (All are from Germany)
http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/site/sn/show.do?series=814

Meet five inventive, courageous, and hardworking entrepreneurs, who led the charge during one of the most exciting eras in economic history. Levi Strauss, Henry E. Steinway, William E. Boeing, John Jacob Astor and Henry J. Heinz changed the way the world eats, dresses, plays and travels. They each left Germany hoping to find a better life in America and they succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. Relive the tragedies and the triumphs that made them millions while leaving a major imprint on American culture......( info stolen from Smithsonian Channel)

Program is running today, Check schedule for dates and times ........ ttfn

Private User
8/15/2012 at 10:37 AM

Thank you, Duck Hunter. I added the link to the profile for John Jacob Astor

Private User
1/8/2013 at 7:25 AM

Ok found a spot to comment! How do I go about investigating Eastern Mass Native American Tribes , that no longer exist? Such as Saugus tribes.

1/8/2013 at 7:52 AM

@Judith Check out some of the War projects such as the King Phillip's War, Queen Anne War, Pequot War, French and Indian War, etc.

1/8/2013 at 7:53 AM

@Judith Or the Native American Diaspora project.

Private User
1/8/2013 at 8:15 AM

Kenneth , found it. No that's not what I am looking for.

1/8/2013 at 11:30 AM
Private User
1/9/2013 at 6:21 AM

Clicked on family ree reseach. Knew it would be a bunch of nothing. They want a dollar they said . A dollar's fine but that means I have to use a credit card or go into my bank acct and that's "a no way jose" If i had a visa gift card on me then it would be a maybe. So i backed out. The heck with it.

Private User
1/9/2013 at 6:23 AM

Ken the Saugus is useless. I live in Saugus. i think I know this stuff already and they don't have much. They even had the tribe connection wrong for awhile. Not there fault because everyone had it wrong for awhile. They couldn't make their minds up which group to connect the local tribe with.

Private User
1/9/2013 at 6:34 AM

Saugus iron Works still has Saugus tribe connected to wrong group. I have been there several times over the years. They can't even decided who built the house. Originally it was an accepted thought that jenks was probably the builder of the iron Works House but the last time I was over there, once the ranger told me that now thing James Taylor the Tres of Mass Bay Prov. was the one who built the orginal farm house , which was since remodeled by Wallace Nutting to look like it does now( they took the porch off and made it look more like places in Salem) . This would , if Taylor, my ancestor built it , it was constructed later. Jenks, of course had a house there but evedently not this one. They haven't decided yet to make that official.The iron Works is a very intersting place to visit and has a museum , with all kinds of artifacts in it but they like the town knows very little about the tribe , since it disappeared, due to disease, or mixng in with the whites or jus plain leaving or being taking over by other tribes. Saugus Indians were a very large tribe in the area. Some history is known. They were later known as the North Saugus Indians to the locals. At least that's what they called my family. Thanks for trying to help.

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion