Can not find on list

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Friday, November 25, 2011
Showing all 10 posts
11/25/2011 at 5:14 PM

Private User

I can't seem to find him on the http://www.geni.com/projects/New-Sweden-Forefathers-Swedish-Colonia... list

Private User
11/25/2011 at 9:36 PM

No He is not on the List and most possible
Dr. Peter Stebbins Craig mist him, or hi was not important enough, there are more of them

from our point of view everybody how set there foot on the ship is important also the wife’s and they are not mansiond at all
and also the persons that came back is interested for us
so we should think to get all included but not in this List but somewhere else in the project?

11/25/2011 at 9:44 PM

I'm not sure about which person you are discussing. (Måns Pålsson?) Or the one named Jön The Finn with a son named Carl Jönsson. I cannot find any of them in any list. And I'm, anyhow, really sure that no person with the name Jön is ever born in Sweden or Finland. So why look for him at all?

11/26/2011 at 10:41 AM

OK, I removed him from the Forefathers project. He is still listed in the Eagle Passenger project and I assume that he is (or should be) on the Alphabetical List.

If you run into more you can ether list them on the ship they came from, the alphabetical list, or when all else fails, just toss them under the main project like I did with Jön The Finn.

Agneta-- We can not just ignore someones ancestor. Just because we can not find a source for them does not mean that the family does not have a source. Much of the information that people have came either from a family Bible or from church records that we do not have. It is our job as project colaborators to find out where they got thier information from and add those sources to the project so everyone has access to them. That's what collaboration is all about.

11/26/2011 at 10:43 AM

PS if you look to the right side of this discussion, it says "profiles mentioned"

In this case this discussion is about http://www.geni.com/people/M%C3%A5ns-P%C3%A5lsson/6000000014657718422

11/26/2011 at 10:43 AM

Correction Left side

11/26/2011 at 10:49 AM

Carl Jönsson, I believe, was mentioned in one of the town hall meetings or something. Just have to find it again to verify. There's so much information in some of the forefathers profiles that it's hard to take in in just one quick reading.

11/27/2011 at 6:54 AM

I'm not of the opinion that some people can be ignored! What I wrot e was that there is no name as 'Jön' in Sweden or Finland. If the sons partonymicon was Jönsson (Jöns son) there is a lack of s in Jöns.

But there is a common swedish male name Jon, but then the son's name ougth to be Jonsson.

If you can scan the original american source it would be possible to do corrections correct. As Robert says avbove:
From our point of view everybody who sat their foot on the ship is important. Also the wife’s and they are not mentioned at all.
And also the persons (who left) that came back is of interest for us.
So we should think to get all included. But not in this List but somewhere else in the project?

It's probarbly a lot of information on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean which is hard to take in. From this side it's a question of trying to understand how english-spoken/writing people heard spoken swedish and wrote it down in english. Or maybe the writer was german or dutch. And one has to understand that in Finland people still speaks two languages. Thoose whos motherlanguage was/is finnish had/have swedish as a seccondlanguage they learnt in school. Or maybe at work?

Lars' example Millica (english) for Millikka (finnish) is an example I would never have guessed, since I don't speak finnish at all.

Yes I know what collaboration is : )

11/27/2011 at 9:24 AM

Agneta

We'll get it solved sooner or later when we get into the sources.
Since the name went thru many hands I'm sure, all it takes is a simple typo to drop an "s" or change a "o" to a "ö".

I'm not sure the originals are online and I don't know if the books that have the translations have the original documents also. Maybe some one that is following this has the originals and will clue us in.

8/14/2012 at 11:14 AM

Have you tried very common names in Finland and Sweden : Jörn or Jöran?

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion