Tree size

Started by Thomas Nolsøe on Monday, December 12, 2011

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
12/12/2011 at 4:08 AM

Geni

I was hoping, that by buying the pro version, I would get access to the full size of my tree. To my disappointment, that was not the case!
How do I get full access to all of my tree?

Best regards

Thomas Nolsøe

Private User
12/12/2011 at 4:59 AM

What do you mean with access?

Private User
12/12/2011 at 5:02 AM

Being a Pro you have edit access to the basic fields (names, About Me etc) on all public profiles and merging profiles.

To be able to edit fields and change/add connections you still need to collaborate with one of the managers, but the main reason for that is that such values are not yet under full revision control with an option to revert changes.

12/13/2011 at 1:54 AM

Hi Bjørn

When I set my tree settings to "ancestors all" it times out. Telling me that it will take to long to make my tree.

BR
Thomas

Private User
12/13/2011 at 2:45 AM

Thomas Nolsøe You still haven't told what you mean about not seeing the full size of the tree. Are you sure that there is more to see?

If you expect an ancestor tree only you have to select that option, but in any case you might need to click on the green cloud symbol's on the top to expand more.

You should remember that a genealogical tree visually are impossible to view it as a tree, simply because it is not a tree. Mathematically you have for example 1.125.899.906.842.624 (1125899,91 billions) 48th great grandparents and with "just" 7 billions people on earth today you should understand that there is another factor here. The further up you get (assuming that part is researched and added) the "tree" grows together into common ancestors telling that later generations have children together with a distant relative. It's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_collapse

The use of the word "tree" when describing a persons ancestor line is very misleading when you look at population growth through history.

If you chop down the tree and put it upside-down you get a better picture. At the bottom you have millions of leafs and the further up you go you get thicker and thicker stems showing that the further back you get the more common ancestors you have and everything is interconnected with wines describing the fact of remote relatives get children together.

When "working in the forest" I use the Ancestors and Descendants value set to minimum: 1. The tree loads ten times faster and you get an easy overview of the generation you have a focus on.

Have a nice day!

12/13/2011 at 3:22 AM

Bjørn

About 1/2 year ago, i was able to view my tree all the way back beyond the year 0. Now I can only view my tree to around the 1500's

Thomas

12/13/2011 at 3:33 AM

@Thomas you may have to check your preferences (at the bottom of tree view). I imagine that to view the whole tree back to year 0 you would have to have it set to direct ancestors only.

Private User
12/13/2011 at 3:46 AM

Again: How does it end?
Have anyone researched further more or are Geni refusing to show you more?

Are you sure you are looking as the same spot as the last time?

Private User
12/13/2011 at 4:07 AM

This is for exampled your 84th great grandfather, born around 990BC
Hedjkheperre Setepenre Shoshenq I, Pharoah of Egypt

This is for example the oldest profile with a real photo of him, born between 1453 and 1438 BC.

Yuya

Anyhow, - just take these lines for fun, - beyond the black death lines are mostly based on myths/sagas, - except some of the ancient Egyptian lines where there are documents (hieroglyphs) showing some lines.

12/18/2011 at 10:59 AM

@ Bjørn & Terry
IT says:
*The tree has timed out'
'The tree is taking to long too draw. We've changed your preferences (below)to reduce the number of ancestors & descendant generations'

I've tried with and without 'direct ancestors only'....same output.

Private User
12/18/2011 at 11:17 AM

It sounds like a problem on your own PC and/or internet connection.
Have you tried to view your own tree on another PC?

Make sure that you have upgraded to latest version of Flash, and it could be wise to use the options in your browser to clean up temporary storage.

I never view the full tree myself, and see absolutely no reason for doing that. I have set my Ancestors and Descendants values to minimum, 1, when "working in the forest".

12/18/2011 at 12:22 PM

I just got this email from Ken Tregear:
'Hello Thomas,

I had a similar problem, and it took me a while to work it out.

In one part of the tree one person appeared twice and was linked so that he was his own grandson!

This seems to create a circular link that the software can never complete.

I contacted the manager of the profile, and once corrected the problem disappeared.'

I am more convinced that this could be the problem. since my internet is working fine and I have tried it on several PC's and Mac's with same result.

12/18/2011 at 2:51 PM

@Thomas, I guess it could be something like this. I notice that you haven't added all that many profiles yourself so we are talking about the Big Tree here I assume. I still think it could be that you need to limit the number of generations to something like 1 descendant and 3 ancestors. See if this works and if it does you could try upping the numbers gradually. If it doesn't then try reducing to 1 ancestor & 1 descendant. If it still doesn't work then it has to be a problem for the help desk. That's IMHO

Private User
12/18/2011 at 4:43 PM

Oh my almost considered becoming a Pro , with the reduced price off. After seeing this , forget it!

12/19/2011 at 2:13 AM

@Terry, I can go as far as 19 ancestors with 2 descendants, without problems. As soon as I choose 'ALL' , it times out. I also noticed another thing, which is that Bjørn P. Brox told me I had an 84th great grandfather, but my 'ancestor list ' only goes to my 49th ancestor.

12/19/2011 at 11:45 AM

Unless Bjorn has a better suggestion I think perhaps you should contact the help desk.
JALM this shouldn't be putting you off becoming PRO as it is one person's problem and possibly a bug and not a general problem that lots of people are complaining about. As a PRO user you get enhanced help as well.

12/20/2011 at 2:07 AM

@Terry, Thanks Terry, I will try the help desk . And thanks to Bjørn and Ken as well!

Private User
12/23/2011 at 7:19 AM

I have 69 people in. I have to pick and choice and adjust here and there to keep it down to 105. If worst comes to worst I will knock off a few cousins or great aunts and uncle. Not putting anyone's children in even tho In know who most of them are. Just trying to stick to the basics.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion