Faulty logic in Geni database?

Начал Eero Ignatius Вторник, 27 Декабря 2011

Участники:

Проекты:

Показаны все 20 сообщений
27/12/2011 в 9:03 до полудня

Charlemagne is is many ways a central figure in European genealogy, and according to Geni, he is (currently) my 32nd great grandfather.

Many Geni user colleagues have also been interested in the Biblical Tree, and regardless of religion, this tree may also have a historical background. Adam may or may not have been a historical person, but the story of his descendants, based on the Bible, cannot be proved entirely untrue.

Charlemagne, according to Geni, is (currently) Adam's 52nd great grandson. This leaves somewhat under 90 generations between Adam and myself.

The distance from Adam to this day should however be about 130 generations, as stated by one of the Biblical Tree's key builders.

I am not questioning the reality of the Biblical Tree, but I am questioning the logic of the Geni database. If I am according to Geni a direct descendant of Charlemagne and he is a according to Geni a direct descendant of Adam, but Geni also says there is no connection between Adam and me, something is wrong in the database.

It would really be great to have someone working for Geni to comment on this issue.

Private User
27/12/2011 в 9:12 до полудня

Adam never existed, it is not more than a fairytale.
Did you allready see your relation to Donald Duck?
Also on Geni!

27/12/2011 в 10:04 до полудня

agree. i would be more concerned if you DID have a connection to adam

27/12/2011 в 10:29 до полудня

What is difference between REAL person, HISTORICAL person, LEGENDARY person or FICTIOUS person?

Only real person I know is I :)
And Propably You my dear friends.

All historical documents, evidences, fairy tales, legends, religious stories are stories we can trust or not trust. By sources there might be different level of thruthworthy (I hope I use the right word there)

Propably Adam in Biblical context might not been real person but there is no need to think that Adam didn't have real prototype in "real life"

This same we could read from Greek sources - they have several people as childs or grandchilds of Gods, Titans, Olympians, Primordials.

Keeping together in one database most of "historical documents" and "legends" is simply other nice, very interesting and extremly informative story.

And this is only up to us - what level of throuth we try to find there

Sorry my english (I hope I explain my meaning there)

And very Happy Beginning (?) of New (?) 2012 (?) Year (?)

(You nottice I add ?-marks to all words exept HAPPY)

Henn

27/12/2011 в 12:03 после полудня

Fred, Jason and Henn - you did not get my point. I'm not taking a stand for or against the "fairy tale" about Adamm which is a matter of belief.

The important issue here is: if I am Charlemagne's descendant, and he is presented as Adam's descendant in the Geni database, then why am I not presented as Adam's descendant???`

This is what I call "faulty logic" in Geni. Not that I would want to be Adam's descendant... that's not important for me. The important issue here is that being posted as a descendant of C., who is a descendant of A, the youngest of the three should also be a descendant of A. Anybody with responsibility of the Geni database with an answer to this simple question?

27/12/2011 в 12:49 после полудня

charlemagne only has 8 proven ancestors, so he shouldnt go back to adam anyway, but on your topic the geni search times out after a while running through so many generations

27/12/2011 в 12:49 после полудня

or 14 proven something like that

Private User
27/12/2011 в 1:15 после полудня

and there are also a lot of people who don't believe that Charlemagne ever existed........

27/12/2011 в 2:12 после полудня

heh... only way is control relationships step by step and see where way goes broken and try build bridge over trouble water......

29/12/2011 в 3:17 до полудня

Eero, Geni is FULL of faulty logic - and erroneous information added by people who don't check relationships. There are way too many parents who are younger than their children by 25, 35, even 70 years. And too many woman who are having first children in their 50s, with husbands who are 30 years younger than they are. And you're absolutely right on the Adam problem (I myself don't believe in the Biblical tree).

30/12/2011 в 2:20 после полудня

Anyone know what Charlemagne's Y and MT DNA haplogroup is?
Charlemagne set each of his sons up with a country to rule.
This is what formed the European countries like France, Italy, Germany, etc.
Charlemagne had a son named Desedarius. (likely Persian based on the Darius part of the name). Desedarius had only daughters and could not by law at that time of history leave his estates to women. Property was left to the first born son only and if he was deceased then to the next son in line by order of birth. I believe I am descended from King Desedarius.
MT DNA "T2" and Y DNA "I1".
LindaLea

30/12/2011 в 2:28 после полудня

http://phoenicia.org/jefferson.html

this site claims thomas jefferson was a direct male line descendent of charlemagne, and that thomas jefferson was of Phoenician male line ancestry, though elsewhere it says Charlemagne's male line descendents went extinct

31/12/2011 в 6:35 после полудня

This is a work in progress, how can any of you expect to have all of this information mapped out already, it will be great when someone does but it will take another 100 years of daily progress. Y-Dna is the way foward.

1/1/2012 в 2:56 до полудня

"This is a work in progress, how can any of you expect to have all of this information mapped out already, it will be great when someone does but it will take another 100 years of daily progress. Y-Dna is the way foward."

That's okay if you are descended from any of Charlemagne's direct male line. (That is if there is any). What about if you are from a female line or you have gone from male to female and vice versa. There must be thousands and thousands of people over the centuries who were descended from Charlemagne. We were taught that he was the father of Europe.

1/1/2012 в 6:23 после полудня

I am fairly new at this but I was up to my 27th Great grandfather when I read this blog. My Mom's side was Goodman and ended at Robert II de Ewyas (1125-1198), Baron of Herefordshire. I was surprised to see the rest of the path and it says I am the 35th Great grandson of Charlemagne. How would this DNA test work? Thanks for info!!

2/1/2012 в 4:35 до полудня

A European friend of mine told me that Charlemagne is estimated to be the ancestor of at least 30% of all Europeans....

2/1/2012 в 5:05 до полудня

its more like 95%-99%

2/1/2012 в 10:37 до полудня

Rhonda, how does this Y-DNA thing work and how do I start it? Thanks!! Gary.

2/1/2012 в 5:04 после полудня

go to www.FTDNA.com and order a 37 marker test. you will not find out how you are related to charlemagne though

2/1/2012 в 6:55 после полудня

I started a discussion called "are we all descended from Charlemagne?" in the descendants of charlemagen discussion group and quoted some mathematical and other online sources for that thought here:
http://www.geni.com/discussions/104261

Показаны все 20 сообщений

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении