• Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 10 posts
Private User
12/29/2011 at 4:49 PM

These are the words that slap many of us in the face whenever we stray onto Geni, where I once spent so many hours entering data into what I foolishly thought was a nice medium for my cousins and me to share family information. Now, with the words above, I'm branded as a transgressor, because Geni shrank its permitted family tree size AFTER THE FACT. It makes one feel that one has been robbed, or defrauded, or both.

If these limits were applied to NEW applicants, who knew exactly what they were getting into, it would seem more fair. We earlier participants should have been warned that what appeared to be a decision about investing time would later be changed into a decision about investing significant amounts of money, endlessly. Now, the message we seem to get, no matter how much work we did, seems to be "Too bad! Pay now, or stay out."

Private User
1/2/2012 at 6:04 AM

I agree with you but g$eni don't :(

Private User
1/19/2012 at 7:00 PM

What does this limit really mean. I was invited to join our family tree by my niece who does have Geni pro. Can I only view 100 of my family members?
Since there is no help function I am stumped.
Any thoughts.

1/19/2012 at 7:15 PM
Private User
1/20/2012 at 7:54 AM

Horti-cultural robbery ..... that's being kind.
Stuff like this happens every day of the year in the busy-ness of the internet, i am sure.
But Geni .... i AM SO disappointed in your conduct .... i was so enjoying my experience with you .... why couldn't you have been up-front in our relationship ?

1/20/2012 at 9:08 AM

This may be of little consolation however I would like to point out that there are places (some libraries for example) where they have public access to Geni. In these places if you use Geni there for that period of use you are considered PRO and can add further profiles. Another option to watch out for is Geni will be having periodic sales which will offer Pro and Plus at cheaper rates, and you can take advantage of the 2week free trial offer. You should be able to view your whole tree when you've been invited to a tree of over 100 profiles you just won't be able to add to it except through collaboration.

Private User
1/20/2012 at 10:28 AM

As Terry said -- You are NOT limited to only seeing 100 family members. You can see all the Profiles in your Max Extended Family, and you can edit all the unclaimed Profiles in your Max Extended Family. (if not, it is a bug, and feel free to mention it here)

Also - if you have not entered at least 5 profiles yourself, you should be able to add some (up to a total of 5 added by you, even if family group over 100). They modified the rule a couple of months after introducing the 100 limit.

3/2/2012 at 9:56 AM

@I am really annoyed at the 100 limit. I've spent hours and hours adding relatives to what I thought was a great site. Now the rules have changed and I cannot add any more without upgrading. Geni should have stuck to their origninal rules - how can they get away with changing the rules when so many of us, who were using the site in good faith, have invested so much time in Geni. Can anyone suggest another site?

Private User
3/3/2012 at 6:39 AM

The trouble is that to move to another place means recopying all that data, after spending so much time entering it in the first place. I wish Geni had warned me----"STOP entering your relatives---you're almost up to 100, which will soon be the limit!!" And I'm very sorry that I invited others to join. And upgrading isn't a one-time payment----we are to pay, and pay, and keep on paying till we die, if we want to do what we were enticed to do freely at the start. Now it's not so easy to withdraw all that hijacked data, either, since various people have become involved.

3/3/2012 at 12:59 PM

Ofcourse you all have your private offline genealogical database on your own personal computer(s)? I use my offline software as my main genealogical database, and use Geni as my secondary. Then all of these problems are gone. I really think all of you also should do it like this. You can never loose you offline database as long as you are good at taking backups of it, online databases on the other hand is out of my (our) control, and I never use them as my primary database.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion