• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 18 posts
1/9/2012 at 7:21 PM

@ i know that the blue dot with a # in it has to be clicked on to have theIR FAMILY visible.. is there a way to have every one show up.. ;/// I WOULD LIKE TO SEE EVERYONE THAT i input insteqd of having to click on different ones for their little tree./ I AM PROBALLY doing something wrong, but,, i dont know who to get them all to show up,

Private User
1/9/2012 at 11:03 PM

Tried the Family ▾ Lists option?

1/10/2012 at 8:51 PM

family lists option?

1/10/2012 at 8:58 PM

i went to help nothing there on family lists option.. any ideas?

Private User
1/10/2012 at 10:53 PM

At top, after Big Word "Geni" - see "Home Tree Family Research" -
click on "Family" -- then click on "Lists" (top choice).

There is a toggle between "show advanced controls" and "hide advanced controls". This is right after/to the left of '----'s Family Group" basically at top of the lists. You probably want the advanced controls showing. This gives you quite a lot of choices. If you use it - remember to go down and click "update" to pull the list with the new choices.

Private User
1/10/2012 at 11:02 PM

Define: Everything?

If you go to http://www.geni.com/list and select "Added By" as group option you will see all profiles you have added and so on.

If you are talking about tree-view it depends what part of the tree you want to see, and how - there is a preferences section on the bottom of the display, but remember that usually the green cloud is an indication that it is impossible to see that part at the same time (except when you have chosen yourself to limit the number of ancestor and descendants generations).

Please also note that there is an ancestors-only display option too.

1/11/2012 at 11:23 AM

thanks so much... i am so busy inputting, checking for and correcting errors, i havent had time to explore.. thanks

1/19/2012 at 6:54 PM

@ THIS FAMILY LIST THING ISNT WORKING!!! I WOULD LIKE TO SEE EVERYONE I HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO INPUT.. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK<<<??? I HAVE SO MANY MEMBERS WITH DUPLICATE NAMES, COMMON BIRTH AND DEATH LOCATIONS... PLEASE, HELP ME... I HAVE WORKED SO HARD TO USE geni AND NOW I AM NOT ABLE TO USE IT... I INPUT AND BUILT A TREE, GRANTED A BIG ONE... I WANT TO SEE THEM... PLEASE@@@

Private User
1/20/2012 at 2:53 PM

You can imagine my problem to see all of 'em. I have manually fed well over 50 000 ... It can't be done.

Private User
1/20/2012 at 4:07 PM

PATRICIA VANCE, - again: See how, - what are you missing? Could you please explain your problem?

Click the link I I mentioned above, - you find it as Lists in the Family-menu at the top of the page. http://www.geni.com/list
If you then see a "show advanced controls" link - click on it!

To the left you will find a Group section with a pulldown-menu. - Select for example "Added By" and click on the "Update List" below and you will be able to go through at least 5000 of profiles added by yourself.

In the Columns section you can for example select showing "Last modified" and you will be able to sort the list on the last modified profiles.

You should also view your own profile, - you find a link to it at the top right corner.

In your own profile you will see an Activity tab, - take a look there if you wonder what you was working on yesterday.

You also have a Home page you find a link to in the upper left corner. You will find a Recent Activity and a Revisions tab there as well, which includes all activity in your tree. Please also note that you have a filter option there if you feel that you drown in information.

1/20/2012 at 5:05 PM

@ thats all well and good for me, BUT when a distant family member looks at my work, all they see is the basics.. not the 4/5/6 members i have input.. and your answer is>>> How do i tell them all that you have told me? i have found distant family, and i mean distant and long lost..//!

Private User
1/20/2012 at 11:16 PM

Are the deceased profiles, your distant relative is looking at, set as public? If the profiles are outside your distant relative's max family group, that may affect the visibility of private profiles.

Private User
1/21/2012 at 12:56 AM

PATRICIA VANCE - your distant family member can view the same lists in the User Statistics section on your profile, for example your added profiles. The Activity tab on your profile does also have a view all link.

If they are a too distant family (> 5 steps) you have to give them access to this information by inviting him/her as a family group member. You find a link for that in the Actions menu on their profile.

1/21/2012 at 1:28 PM

@ Ok, give it to me step by-step, 1, 2, 3, what do i change to allow all family members the capibility to view our entire family tree?? '

I regret starting my tree on GENI! more problems, no advantages.. begging for help, ** ask a simple question, get a question back, or instructions an pc expert would have trouble following. *** just tell me ( a non pc person ) can easily ( EASILY) follow.. sorry to be so much trouble.@

Private User
1/21/2012 at 1:53 PM

PATRICIA FAYE LANG - you are not alone, - too many users does for example not see the menu items at the bottom of every page. We have even Geni curators that did not know that Geni have Wiki and Help pages even if they are linked to at the bottom of every page, so Geni should probably take a look on the design.

However - What you should focus on is the top menu line and start exploring the options, especially those who have a sub-menu. Don't be afraid of explore the features. When it comes to your relationship to other users it is their profile

When it comes to your relationship to other users and access you should focus on their profile (and they on your), - take especially a look in the upper right corner of the profile and try to click on [Actions▼] menu and read what options you find there. Take a look below that menu as well.

1/21/2012 at 2:15 PM

@ so what you are telling me is- there is no easy answer to my simple question... HOW DO I CHANGE EVERY MEMBER THAT I HAVE INPUT, TO GIVE EVERYONE IN MY TREE THE CAPABILITY TO VIEW THE ENTIRE TREE, EVEN ABOVE 5 AND 6 GENERATIONS? this will help all look for errors.

CAN THIS CHANGE BE DONE IN ONE FATAL SWIPE, ONE BUTTON TO FIX THIS PROBLEM? can i change one thing and save , to make all members see the entire tree? @

Private User
1/21/2012 at 2:46 PM

Don't shout... You have two options: Make your profiles public or invite the persons you want to give access as an extended family group member (the one click option) - which you find an option for in the [Actions▼] menu on their profile.

By default only profiles above second great grandfather is by default public, so you have to manually override that option by selecting the "This is a public profile" under edit on their profile. Making profiles public is a challenge for many people, - most people have a low threshold and makes the profiles of all deceased people as public profiles, - because their details a public information anyhow, depending on the country, and some use date of birth as a limit, like 1880, - it is all up to you.

1/21/2012 at 4:23 PM

@ nnot sshouting. just trying to make you understand,,, i will start all over... i think i am waving a white flag... printing all the instructions and do my best.
blahahaahaha@

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion