"Lists" Tool Not showing complete results?

Started by Private User on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 15 posts
Private User
1/10/2012 at 10:56 PM

So a goal of mine is to always set living relatives to "private" as I don't want to publish any of their important and sensitive data, and I've always used Lists to do this.

I recognize that Geni still has the data entry bug where nearly every profile typed in defaults to public regardless of relationship, but I THOUGHT the lists tool would help me find those living profiles and mark them all private

But I just stumbled across a chunk of my tree, which I typed in, and I am SOLE manager of which were marked public!?! I brought up a lists page and sure enough, they don't show up on my list search?

Now I'm concerned that there are other living relatives also marked public. What is going on here?

Private User
1/11/2012 at 1:30 AM

To clarify, the people who were still marked public did not show up in either "added by" nor "managed by" list tool queries, when searching for "public profiles" that are "living".

1/11/2012 at 11:30 AM

Stephen,

That's certainly disconcerting. Can you send me a link to one (or a few) profile(s)? I'll see if I can find out what went wrong.

Mike

Private User
1/11/2012 at 11:54 AM

Deleted above post to fix type-o

Well, I marked the ones I found private, and so just now I went to my revisions tab to find that area of the tree again, and noticed about 20 more in this area of the above link. (I will be deleting that post eventually as I don't want to bring any additional attention to him!

He is a fourth cousin of mine once removed, and I recognize that his children would be my fifth cousins, and outside of my "fourth cousin tree", but my Mom is on the site, making him my Mom's blood fourth cousin. Also, We are in touch with this distant branch of the family, and so his father is a Geni member.

So the lists tool must be limited to fourth cousins and closer, no matter how the tool is configured? I thought it was the one place I had control over all the profiles I manage and add, despite relationship.... ?

TIA

1/11/2012 at 5:21 PM

Ah, I think you put your finger on the problem -- as your 4th cousin once removed, he's beyond the 4th cousin boundary (to YOU) that we use for determining public/private when adding profiles. There's a performance constraint that prevents us from finding your mother in this scenario, namely that we'd have to find the entire 4th-cousin group of the newly-added profile before we could return you a view of the tree. We agree that it's a problematic system, and we're still kicking around ideas for how to simplify it.

As for the list view, you should have been able to select the "Managed by me" group and add a filter for public profiles only, however I see there's a bug that's limiting that set to 5,000 *before* applying the public filter, meaning if you've added more than 5,000 profile it will miss some (as is your case). I'm working on a fix for that and expect to release it today.

Private User
1/11/2012 at 10:30 PM

Excellent! And thanks! I can understand a setting that would limit the results to 5,000 people per "list search", thats totally reasonable. But yea, it would be cool, if it just started generating the list and didn't stop until it had crawled 100% of the people "managed by me" OR reaches the 5,000 number.

Thanks so much for the help!

Private User
1/12/2012 at 8:50 PM

Well, I haven't seen any change yet, but now knowing the flaw in the List mode, I went through each of my great-grandparents and marked about 200 more people private, but I'm leaving one in each group so that I can be sure I'm getting ALL of them when this bug is fixed.

All I want is that if I ask the Lists tool for a list of relatives "Added by" me, that it goes all the way through every person added by me, and doesn't stop until it is done, OR has shown me the first 5,000 people who match my search.

1/13/2012 at 3:56 PM

Agreed -- that's what you'll get once we release this fix, which unfortunately is looking like next week.

2/23/2012 at 4:51 PM

Did this fix make it in yet?

2/23/2012 at 5:01 PM

Sorry, yes it did!

2/23/2012 at 5:04 PM

Excellent... I thought that was working right now, but I was feeling paranoid and figured I'd better ask in case something was still amiss...

Many thanks Mike!

Private User
1/18/2014 at 1:55 AM

Update;

The Lists tool appears broken again. Or not broken, but rather stopping it's search when it hits 5,000 profiles. For example, it cannot find my 3rd Great Grandmother - Ellen (Helen) J Likens Quigley

The way I use this tool is to mark every deceased profile I have entered as public, because I want distant relatives to be able to easily find me, both here on the site and with Google SEO, and then also mark people born in the last 100 years as private, just for privacy and security's sake.

However, I just stumbled across my 3rd Great Grandmother's profile and it was still marked private! I double checked and it is not showing up in my List tool results. The reason I suspect this is happening is documented above in this thread. The list tool is designed to only show 5,000 results at a time, but what it's actually doing is just searching through 5,000 profiles, and then stopping, no matter how many results it has found thus far.

I know I am a unique case since I have more than 5,000 people in my "Family Group", but just wanted to mention that this problem still exists. It is very important to me that I mark everyone private who should be private, and public those who I wish to be public.

TIA

Private User
1/18/2014 at 2:35 AM

As you can see on her profile revisions tab, I just set her to public, then private, then public again. This change has made the Lists tool be able to find her. But less than a week ago I used this tool again to go through and check the privacy settings of my profiles and it did not find her then, (and as you can see from the revisions tab, it has NEVER found her before, so that I could mark her public)

Anyways, the next time I find a profile that has gone "undetected" by the lists tool I will be more careful and double check to see if the Lists tool can find it before I change it's privacy status manually, because, like I said, there's simply no way my repeated use of the Lists tool would have missed my 3rd Great Grandma last week when I used it to check privacy status.

Private User
1/18/2014 at 9:46 AM

Viewing lists have of performance reasons always had a limit of 5000 - only the first 5000 is extracted from the DB, - a cut-off limit before any filters is applied.

Practically you would never browse through the 5000 profiles anyhow, so it is better to narrow down which list you want to view.

Private User
1/18/2014 at 6:52 PM

The bug does appear to be fixed now --

I understand what you're sayiing Bjorn, but at the beginning of this thread I identified that the Lists tool was stopping after looking through 5,000 profiles, even if it had only found one result. I can't explain why I had some relatives escape my searches last week.

Anyways, it appears to be fully functional, but if I find another undetected profile I will carefully try to recreate the problem before changing the profile's privacy status.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion