The public discussion you requested has been deleted.

Example- Working with and Linking tribes and State example

Started by Marvin Caulk, (C) on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
1/12/2012 at 6:21 PM

Since prehistoric times Native Americans have migrated. This migration both voluntary and forced continued into the 20th century.

I have made and example of one of these to help every one working in the projects.

I have finished a project for each Region and state. I was working with my own state, MO and the first tribe on the list were the Caddo.

Please go to http://www.geni.com/projects/Native-American-Tribes-State-of-Missou...

as you see, the Caddo are mentionrd in MO, but the main tribe will be found in TX so after a short note I put the link " See [http://www.geni.com/projects/Native-American-Tribes-State-of-Texas Texas] "

Now if you follow me to Texas you will find the Caddo Tribes listed (number 9) and you will see that I added "+ note in MO " . This will let the person that is working on the Caddo in Texas that there is something in the MO tribes about them. This is the only way that we can keep links up to date as the projects are worked on.

1/12/2012 at 6:52 PM
Private User
1/12/2012 at 10:21 PM

Thank you, Marvin. If only states corresponded neatly to tribal territories.:)

1/12/2012 at 10:59 PM

Thanks Marvin, you are a genius!! I'll lend some of my writings to this project, once I figure out how to print it up.

1/13/2012 at 9:35 AM

Erica, true but if you think of it, if you do a tribe or nation, you can point all the states (or in some cases also to canada or mexico) to show the area.

You work with the Cherokee alot, and although most people only know of the two Cherokee Nations, as you know they are spread out over several states.

To the north we have Some Reservations that cross into Canada, and some tribes crossed over into Mexico. In the US alone 55.7 million acres (2.3%) of the US is Managed by Native Americans. The are only 310 Reservations but 550 recognized tribes. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_reservation )
That means 240 reconized tribes don't even have tribal lands.

Tracking them thru time and states (counties) is the only way I know that it can be done.

1/13/2012 at 9:36 AM

counties=countries

4/19/2012 at 7:54 PM

re: land area - as I recall, between Federal lands, state lands, and Indian reservations, my native state of Arizona is well over 90% non-private land.

Then there is the Hopi reservation, surrounded by the Navajo reservation, which is mostly in AZ but also (I think) a bit in NM and CO.

Private User
4/19/2012 at 8:11 PM

And into Mexico down here in Tucson! I think we should do reservations separately as Geni enhances and works with "Places," and do tribal projects for now. The division Marv made by Mountain, Southeast, etc. Makes sense to me as a frame for tribes. Sub divisions into bands does not seem warranted at least as yet.

4/20/2012 at 9:21 AM

Although I broke it down by stae.. in those cases were needed such as a Reservation that is both in the US and Canada (IE The Mohawk) it may be simple to simply create a project for it and link it both from the NY State project and the Ontario and Quebec Projects.

There's a lot that can be done, each state/tribe/reservation will have to be looked at, and someone from that region will have to decide what may be best.

As for places, I can show you lists of indian villiges, but normally you will only find one or two people connected to each villiage. That's not worh oppenig a project for.

Private User
4/20/2012 at 9:31 AM

Also there's a "places" initiative coming up from Geni, so I don't think we should do all that much with geography until we see what Geni comes up with. So sub divisions by tribal affiliation, created on the fly as we need them, seem the best way to go?

4/20/2012 at 11:08 AM

Really, the only way to go unless we get a Native American Curator that has the time to take it all over.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion