Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, January 13, 2012

Showing all 26 posts
1/13/2012 at 3:38 AM

We encourage people to jump in & help us on the SA projects. Don’t worry about not getting the formatting right – that’s easily fixed.

For starters:
Click the EDIT button on the ‘About’ section on the project page to open the document for you to write in. (You need to be a Collaborator to do this)

= = makes a big heading.
== == makes a smaller heading.
=== === makes an even smaller one.
''' makes bold
* makes a list
> makes an indent

To create a hypertext link (the blue writing you can click on) to a Geni profile page or to another internet site, put the URL (page address) in hard brackets with the text you want to show a couple of spaces after the link. Eg put into [ CEO of Camels R Us] – This will show as a blue ‘click-on’ link, reading only ‘CEO of Camels R Us.’

Private User
1/13/2012 at 3:51 AM

Excellent Sharon:)

Always remember the commands need to be in pairs

for italics ''Italics''

For a double indent >>
For a secondary bullet **

Have fun!

1/13/2012 at 4:26 AM

Thanks,Sharon.Have to take it slow till I get all that in my head!PS-can't believe it-Geni says i'm great uncle's 4th cousin once removed of Sir Div!

1/13/2012 at 10:38 AM

# makes a numbered list

1/18/2012 at 12:24 AM
1/19/2012 at 3:45 AM

Was just adding that in for extra use value, Capt Marv - you'll know everything and more on it already ;-)

1/19/2012 at 12:14 PM

Ah, but I did learn

::: I was using > and >>

You never know what you can learn - thanks

Private User
1/20/2012 at 3:44 AM

I agree Richard!

Another thing to remember - if you want a paragraph break you need to use the paragraph symbol or a double space.

2/5/2012 at 2:13 AM

A silly question: if * makes a list, how do make a *?

Private User
2/5/2012 at 5:52 AM

The * has to be at the beginning of a line with a double space before it. If you use it in mid line then it works in the usual way. I think! Will go and test first - yes works!

2/27/2012 at 12:40 AM

Upload photo as you usually do
Then Click “Edit” next to the Project field UNDER the image
Select the desired project

Now the photo will appear on the project’s page!

7/25/2012 at 8:23 AM

Geni project on Wikitext, Unicode & Pics:

3/26/2013 at 8:03 AM

Hi hi,
I am but a novice. Please could someone advise me how to put a LIST of names into alphabetical order on Geni, keeping the list format.
Many thanks,
Sally :)

Private User
3/26/2013 at 8:09 AM

Sally - it has to be done manually - no auto route I'ma afraid.

Private User
3/29/2013 at 3:07 AM

How to add a link is explained in the attached document - [ '''Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.''']

3/30/2013 at 5:30 AM

Why dont you sort (or order as they say "over the pond" in USA) the list first in a spreadsheet such as Excel and when you have it in the order you want copy and paste it into the Geni editor.

It is often easier to compile outside of Geni and then copy into Geni and finally add the formatting characters as described by others in earlier posts.

Private User
11/12/2013 at 3:33 PM

On the first page of a project, must you have the profiles?
I have set this one up, any criticism would be accepted as constructive :)

I felt that the research links I have gathered were best shared on the front page, and I will add a link t the profiles page perhaps. I have entered it in History link also, and this will serve people better than huge lists was my thought. (no profiles yet)

Thanks Shaz

Private User
11/13/2013 at 11:08 PM

Not sure I understand Shaz! Some project's are very "people based/centred" (e.g. Titanic and the individual 1820 Settler parties to South Africa) and links to the profiles are added in the body of the text. Others, such as the German Settlement project,where the emphasis is more on information, I would not expect to see profiles listed in the project and would look for those linked in the side menu. Not to say this project couldn't feature some of the more colourful or important characters linked. Problem with the side panel is that it isn't searchable or in any order other than when it was added, which makes it difficult to find people!

Does that help or answer your query?

10/30/2014 at 4:34 PM

I received a group photo (with names) of prisoners of war in Diyatalawa camp and looking for someone to help me to upload it to the project.
Please contact me at:

Private User
10/30/2014 at 10:48 PM
7/2/2015 at 10:43 PM

Being an elderly lady with no experience of computers I would love to be a collaborator with the project of 1820 Settlers and post 1820. Constructing my husbands family tree I have found several French connection and also a British one.
If you would be kind enough to reply I would be very grateful for any help I can have.
Regards to you all Ann Ross

7/3/2015 at 1:16 AM

I sent you an invite Ann.

8/18/2015 at 5:05 AM

Hi. I am Annette. I am doing some research on the Petterson family in South Africa. I am a real newby at this an have absolutely no idea what I am doing.... Help please. I am looking for information on my grandparents Carl Gustav Petterson and their son Robert Mauritz Alexander Petterson. I can be emailed on Thanx for your assistance. Regards Annette

8/18/2015 at 5:09 AM

Hello Annette. I've sent you an invite to our South African landing site project on Geni: Welkom Cuzzins. There's info there that helps to explain how to work on Geni, if you haven't got that from Geni already.

Once you've got more of your tree onto Geni, you will be able to see if you can link into your cousins' tree and search for your grandparents.

9/2/2015 at 10:04 AM

My great great great great grandfather was the 1820 settler Thomas Willson! I would like to join the project but I'm not sure how to become a collaborator... Please could someone help, I can be reached at Thanks

9/2/2015 at 11:08 AM

Daniel Nicolas Wright, I sent you an invite to that main project, and to the Welkom Cuzzins Project. If you send me the URL for your Grandfather Thomas Wilson's Geni profile - I can help you add him. Private User developed those 1820 settler projects, so you'll find her very helpful there too.

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion