Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, January 13, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 47 posts
1/13/2012 at 3:38 AM

We encourage people to jump in & help us on the SA projects. Don’t worry about not getting the formatting right – that’s easily fixed.

For starters:
Click the EDIT button on the ‘About’ section on the project page to open the document for you to write in. (You need to be a Collaborator to do this)

= = makes a big heading.
== == makes a smaller heading.
=== === makes an even smaller one.
''' makes bold
* makes a list
> makes an indent

To create a hypertext link (the blue writing you can click on) to a Geni profile page or to another internet site, put the URL (page address) in hard brackets with the text you want to show a couple of spaces after the link. Eg put into [http://www.geni.com/people/Sharon-Doubell/60000000057765846 CEO of Camels R Us] – This will show as a blue ‘click-on’ link, reading only ‘CEO of Camels R Us.’

1/13/2012 at 3:51 AM

Excellent Sharon:)

Always remember the commands need to be in pairs

for italics ''Italics''

For a double indent >>
For a secondary bullet **

Have fun!

1/13/2012 at 4:05 AM

:-)

1/13/2012 at 4:26 AM

Thanks,Sharon.Have to take it slow till I get all that in my head!PS-can't believe it-Geni says i'm great uncle's 4th cousin once removed of Sir Div!

1/13/2012 at 10:38 AM

# makes a numbered list

1/18/2012 at 12:24 AM
1/18/2012 at 7:03 PM

Thanks, I 'll look at it when wikipedia comes back from protest mode

1/19/2012 at 3:45 AM

Was just adding that in for extra use value, Capt Marv - you'll know everything and more on it already ;-)

1/19/2012 at 12:14 PM

Ah, but I did learn
##

:
::: I was using > and >>

You never know what you can learn - thanks

1/19/2012 at 12:37 PM

For the headings it is not necessary to use the = on both sites of the phrase.
This helps to make the page less complicated in the edit-format. I would suggest to avoid to much FAT and ITALIC for that makes it much more difficult to write in it for 'starters' and it does not encourage co-operation when a text is full with bracets and """"-things. So, as basic as possible makes sure that others won't make mistakes in your text. And remember: only schoolmasters write very FAT and UNDERLINE on a schoolbord, but adults understand each other also in a more moderate way of communication... In general that's the way you discover someones writers'skills :) Succes, jeannette.

1/20/2012 at 3:44 AM

I agree Richard!

Another thing to remember - if you want a paragraph break you need to use the paragraph symbol or a double space.

1/20/2012 at 3:52 AM

The headings are fat and bigger like in newspapers, i mean not to use fat in sentences. I did some research about visual readybility in text and it shows that a lot of writers and grafic designers do not know about the impact of using a balanced view on a textpage. Many people who starts writing for educational purposes do not use the impact of the 'taxonomy' you can achieve by a good use of the different types of headings. It is important to consider the function of a project too. Is it :
- for your own fun or pleasure
- to make it easier to cooperate in a research a. With only your own family-members OR with chosen or to be invited team-members.
- to make a kind of harvest of profiles you have found or like to find
- etcetera...
- to write and documentate about a historical aspect or

1/20/2012 at 3:53 AM

Sorry, i am not yes used to write on a tablet, next time better.

1/20/2012 at 4:50 AM

:-)

1/20/2012 at 7:24 AM

I would have thought that the way a project is edited, laid out and formatted is entirely up to those who work on it - personal preference etc. - presenting it as they believe will be the most interesting format. In my experience anything visual has to have contrast - if it is just an endless block of text it isn't particularly inviting! Roll up the time that we can add images!!

1/20/2012 at 8:16 AM

i agree with you Catherine, as long as all curatores has this opinion. I experienced some to interphere with my projects trying to change it or deleted it or kicked out all my collaborators.... My remarks where just to give some sort of advice for team-builders who like to cooperate by working together in a project-setting.

Private User
1/20/2012 at 8:44 PM

Love all your comments.

2/5/2012 at 2:13 AM

A silly question: if * makes a list, how do make a *?

2/5/2012 at 5:52 AM

The * has to be at the beginning of a line with a double space before it. If you use it in mid line then it works in the usual way. I think! Will go and test first - yes works!

2/27/2012 at 12:40 AM

How to ADD A PHOTO TO A PROJECT:

Upload photo as you usually do
Then Click “Edit” next to the Project field UNDER the image
Select the desired project

Now the photo will appear on the project’s page!

7/25/2012 at 8:23 AM

Geni project on Wikitext, Unicode & Pics: http://www.geni.com/projects/Geni-Wikitext-Unicode-and-images/8404

8/1/2012 at 1:49 PM

I am new at this- my husband's great grandmother was married to William E. Damant, who came to America) son of Edward Damant and Mary Atherstone. Is anyone interested in him---have info and photos of wife. Have names of his progeny. Thank you!
Christine B. Low
Cape Cod, MA, USA christineblow@verizon.net

8/1/2012 at 4:22 PM
8/1/2012 at 5:04 PM

Hatte: Selina was William E. Damant's wife; she is not related to ME; Selina is my husband's great grandmother, and I am the person doing the research. My husband is in the cheering section. Selina was married three times, W.E. Damant being her first husband.

8/2/2012 at 4:08 AM

Hatte: Elizabeth not related to my husband. I am just offering to provide info. on the William Hall who came to America , since he married into my husband's family....if any one is interested in this. If not, that is fine.

Best wishes........

8/2/2012 at 7:55 AM

Okay, deleted my extraneous comments. Good luck.

2/19/2013 at 1:24 PM

in my documents on geni is the whole tree 50 pages you are welcome to it

2/19/2013 at 11:35 PM

Hello @Aletta - that sounds intriguing and very useful?

3/25/2013 at 7:01 AM

Hi Sharon, I found family linked to the 1820 settlers and would like to update Geni 1820 settler's. 3 surnames are linked. 1 is sofar 100% positive. What must I do please.
Regards, Geoff.

3/25/2013 at 7:12 AM

Hello Andre Geoffrey Gladwin - my 8th cousin. Great stuff!

I've added you as a collaborator on the main project - That will allow you to add text there.

June Barnes has a fantastic set of projects going here, and has made sub-projects for all the landing parties, so you'll need to be added as a collaborator to the ones that apply.
June - can you help Geoff with where he should add his findings!
Keep me posted.
love the cuzz in Johannesburg

Showing 1-30 of 47 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion