Do you mean to include sub-groups too?

Started by Hatte Blejer on Friday, January 13, 2012

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 11 posts
1/13/2012 at 4:45 PM

Such as G2a3b1a1b? There are at least 4 men on Geni in this group I believe. I know two of them and can cite their oldest known ancestor on the paternal line.

1/13/2012 at 4:56 PM

Yep, working on that this afternoon Hatte. I added L140 yesterday and P303 today. I want to add every subgroup that is currently represented on Geni. If you know of any we don't have - except your Frankels, who are already on my list.

1/13/2012 at 5:29 PM

I suspect that the Weiden and Weidenfeld brothers on Geni are in the same group as the Frankels.

1/13/2012 at 7:19 PM

Yes, that's the current projection. I created a G2a3b1a1b sub-project. Go ahead and add your guys.

7/14/2012 at 2:49 PM

I'm confirmed as G2a3b1a1a according to Ray Banks' classification in the Haplogroup G Project at:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/G-YDNA/default.aspx?vgroup=G-YD...

Will/Have you create/d a sub-project for our clade. If so, what should I do to be part of that sub-project?

7/15/2012 at 10:03 PM

Peter T. Christy, I created an L13/S13 project, and sent you an invitation to collaborate.

http://www.geni.com/projects/G-L13-S13-Y-DNA/12318

I haven't forgotten your illustrious services to the genetic genealogy community. We'd be delighted to have you as a collaborator on any of the DNA projects.

7/16/2012 at 6:02 AM

I've accepted all your invitations, Justin and I am flattered that you recall my earlier efforts in genetic genealogy. As you know, my motivation is purely personal ... to learn what can be learned about my unknown paternity ... rather than professional or scholarly. I'm also severely limited by having no understanding of the science behind genetics ... never taking biology in high school. Nonetheless, one is never to old to learn!

7/16/2012 at 11:17 AM

Glad to have you here Peter T. Christy. My Frankel family is G2a3b1a1b. All five or six of those in this sub-group are descendants of Polish - Lithuania Jewish men. Our family was from a small village in Western Lithuania called Ratnycia, near Merkine and Druskininkai.

7/16/2012 at 11:42 AM

Thank you Hatte Blejer!

I've been on a paternity quest for a decade and have narrowed my search to the village of Montella in the Avellino Province of Italy east of Naples. 23andMe has found a half-dozen close matches, all of whom trace their ancestry to that village. I'm currently seeking other males of my Y-DNA haplogroup to encourage them to get autosomal testing at 23andMe. My intent is to use autosomal testing at 23andMe to find all relatives from Montella, but to use Y-DNA to find my paternity ... well, at least my paternal line!

We're in the same same church, but different pews ... G2a3b1a1b and G2a3b1a1a are close, but not close enough to be considered family. May I assume you have reviewed Ray Banks' Haplogroup G Project for others in your family's clade at:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/G-YDNA/default.aspx?vgroup=G-YD...

I see seven in that clade, including one Frankel, whom I assume is your family. Perhaps Franklin is a patronym for Frankel?

7/16/2012 at 11:50 AM

Yes, the Franklins are our cousins. I found them through Jewish Gen. Thanks to them, I pinpointed our shtetl in Lithuania and I visited it last month. The Franklins will be visiting Ratnycia themselves this month. I did the autosomal test and then they did both the autosomal and Y-DNA. One of my male cousins did Y-DNA. All the tests, as well as the given names confirm beyond a doubt that we are cousins. It's a real DNA success story. Later, I confirmed that a cousin's father's death certificate listed that village as well. Interestingly, my DNA overlap with my Franklin cousin is very large, considering he is a 6th cousin. I assume because we lived in the same small village for 2 centuries and likely share a number of ancestors due to intermarriage.

I subscribe to Ray Banks newsletter thanks to Justin. I also have seen the Haplogroup G Project. I'm surprised that there are so few in our clade so far. I did try contacting the Weidenfelds here on Geni, but it may not be the same family.

Your search is fascinating.

7/17/2012 at 7:46 AM

That certainly is a success story, Hatte Blejer! I'm wishing for one like that myself, although it may be more than can be hoped for. Although I appear to be converging on my paternal line, my paternity is unknown. Without "the usual suspects" I can't prove paternity, although I may learn about my paternal relatives.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion