The real William Wallace

Started by Private User on Monday, January 16, 2012

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
1/16/2012 at 7:14 AM

Was watching a very interestin documentary last night about William Wallace (Braveheart)
I was schocked to find out that the film was 98% fiction and not a fact LOL

1. Kilts were not worn at the time of William Wallace
2.William Wallace was caught stealing a keg of beer at the age of 12 alongside the English soldiers
3.According to historians he was never married to Marian Braveheart, story goes that about 100 years after Williams death, the descendants of Marian added William Wallace to their family-tree, it was written up for them after paying for it.
4. William was only second in command but Andrew Murray died 2 weeks after the battle so William was next in line to receive the honors
Amazing story

Private User
1/16/2012 at 7:19 AM
1/16/2012 at 7:32 AM

Yes, I was disappointed too (LOVE the movie).
Still, after watching it again a few months ago, I was seriously thinking that a project around this could be interesting, specifically around the leaders around the various battles (Stirling, Falkirk).
On Geni, I keep coming across Longshanks (the horrible man :-) ), so I bet that there is enough material to have a Braveheart project.

Private User
1/16/2012 at 7:38 AM

was sooo disappointed as I love Mel Gibson in his kilt :)
So no long haired Scots with kilts but scots with normal cotton clothing and armour, ah well
I am building up the Scottish portal a bit as I do with all other projects started by me and I am adding Clan projects that I found on Geni.
Did not come accross William Wallace yet or a Clans of Scotland project or a battle project, with Andrew Murray, Baillie and Wallaces and others, might be an idea.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion