The real William Wallace

Started by Private User on Monday, January 16, 2012

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
1/16/2012 at 7:14 AM

Was watching a very interestin documentary last night about William Wallace (Braveheart)
I was schocked to find out that the film was 98% fiction and not a fact LOL

1. Kilts were not worn at the time of William Wallace
2.William Wallace was caught stealing a keg of beer at the age of 12 alongside the English soldiers
3.According to historians he was never married to Marian Braveheart, story goes that about 100 years after Williams death, the descendants of Marian added William Wallace to their family-tree, it was written up for them after paying for it.
4. William was only second in command but Andrew Murray died 2 weeks after the battle so William was next in line to receive the honors
Amazing story

Private User
1/16/2012 at 7:19 AM
1/16/2012 at 7:32 AM

Yes, I was disappointed too (LOVE the movie).
Still, after watching it again a few months ago, I was seriously thinking that a project around this could be interesting, specifically around the leaders around the various battles (Stirling, Falkirk).
On Geni, I keep coming across Longshanks (the horrible man :-) ), so I bet that there is enough material to have a Braveheart project.

Private User
1/16/2012 at 7:38 AM

was sooo disappointed as I love Mel Gibson in his kilt :)
So no long haired Scots with kilts but scots with normal cotton clothing and armour, ah well
I am building up the Scottish portal a bit as I do with all other projects started by me and I am adding Clan projects that I found on Geni.
Did not come accross William Wallace yet or a Clans of Scotland project or a battle project, with Andrew Murray, Baillie and Wallaces and others, might be an idea.

Private User
4/10/2015 at 7:20 AM

Concerning the wearing of the klit, I believe that it is perfectly possible that something very like the filleadh mhòr or great kilt was worn during the time of William Wallace However, possible or not, it seems very unlikely that it was ever worn by William Wallace, or any others of the English speaking people of Lowland Scotland. Moreover, anyone with any romantic notions about the Wallace tartan will be disappointed to learn that the idea of tartan being associated with a particular family is entirely modern. In this regard, Marion Wilson’s article for the Scottish Tartans Authority is well worth a read. She makes the following observations:
“The Story of Tartan, particularly the Clan Tartans, has been dogged by so-called experts who have generalised, and not always with a care for accuracy or authenticity. The Day Book used by William Wilson and Son from 1771 to 1780 is in the National Library of Scotland, gives daily entries of goods dispatched to civilian customers. I have been making a card index of the tartan names used in it; and I hope to continue this to the other Wilson records. The names used in the Day Book are not those clan names used today. But it seems to me that, at a very early date in the Wilson firm's history, it became convenient and then necessary, to differentiate between patterned materials by giving each pattern some sort of a name. Starting with this theory and the knowledge that the number of tartan patterns was increasing, I believe that .the Wilsons would associate a pattern usually with a person or sometimes a place. At the same time Highland regiments were being raised by leading citizens; and D C Stewart in the Scottish Tartans Society proceedings of 1975 describes how the regiments became known by the names of their commanding officers. Individuals who raised regiments and the commanding officers would add light lines to the Black Watch or government tartan, so that their own men would be distinctive, and these regimental patterns have continued.”
“By 1815-16, the Highland chiefs were depositing In the Highland Society of London archives, pieces of their authentic clan tartans. Then, as now, there was much confusion and I wonder whether the clan chiefs did not want to be outdone by the commanding officers. In 1819 Wilsons developed their Pattern Book. By the time King George IV came to Edinburgh In 1822, everyone was wanting a clan tartan. One merchant wrote: "Please send me a piece of Rose tartan, and if there isn't one, please send me a different pattern and call it Rose." In other words the clan tartan system just developed”

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion