John Stevens, II

Начала Carol Fitzgerald Вторник, 17 Января 2012

Участники:

Упомянутые профайлы:

Показаны все 9 сообщений
17/1/2012 в 4:59 до полудня

Immigrated to New England, USA on ship CONFIDENCE of London, England in 1638. -------------------- JOHN STEVENS (cl6ll-1688) John and his wife Catherine were both born in Eng¬land. I have no source which indicates where, nor do I know Catherine's maiden name. By 1640 they had immigrated to North America; in that year they purchased land in Salisbury, Massachusetts. The book Old Families of Salisbury and Ames¬bury describes John Stevens as "sergeant", apparently of the local militia. He was a member of the Salisbury church. His will was recorded April 12, 1686; he died in February of 1688. Six of his children are listed in Old Families..., and a seventh, Thomas, is listed in another account of the family, that given in Temple's History of North Brookfield. It is Thomas through whom we are des¬cended. Catherine Stevens died in July of 1682.

Compiled by Joyce’s cousin, Wayne Nado in 1987.

17/1/2012 в 8:50 до полудня

The one that should be deleted would have lived in the 1500s, so that paragraph doesn't apply. The specific John Stevens I'm referring to is the John Stevens at the far end of the family tree.

John Stevens II is the son of John Stevens I. And that John Stevens is the son of another John Stevens, who married Margarent Timbell. But there is nothing to suggest a fourth one; I believe someone got confused by the correct number of John Stevens in a row and added another one without any data to support it.

17/1/2012 в 3:07 после полудня

John Stevens: Birth: Nov. 19, 1650 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA. Death: 1725 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA . Married Mary Chase in Mar. 9, 1669 in Newbury, MA.

17/1/2012 в 3:11 после полудня

There was a William Stevens
(Birth Sep. 1, 1616 in Caversham, Oxfordshire, England;
Death May 19, 1653 in Newbury, Essex, Massachusetts, USA). He was married to Elizabeth Bitfield (1628-1676).

18/1/2012 в 8:01 до полудня

I've looked quite a lot to see if there is information on a fourth John Stevens. There are lots of them born in the 1600s, as you can see. I maintain that the furthest-out John Stevens has no evidence whatsoever and should be removed. He absolutely would have been born in the early 1500s, because he would be three generations removed from John Stevens II, who is the person you cite at the start of the discussion.

18/1/2012 в 8:20 до полудня

Okay, David - there is an unknown Stevens from England that was the father of John Stevens (1549-1617). His name may be John, but I'll leave his last name as Stevens.

19/1/2012 в 12:26 до полудня

My point is that, yes, John Stevens 1549-1617 had a father whose name was Stevens. Profiles like that aren't helpful and end up cluttering up trees and make it hard to generate a Gedcom file from what Geni has. I honestly think the profile should be deleted.

By the way, you've done a wonderful job with your family tree! It makes them *real*. So few people (myself included) use pictures.

19/1/2012 в 7:46 до полудня

Thanks, I'll leave it there until I find more information about him.

Private User
19/1/2012 в 11:33 до полудня

Agree - Remember the most important rule: Never fabricate facts!

If you just assume the fathers name was Stevens you should not add it.

Показаны все 9 сообщений

Зарегистрируйтесь или войдите в систему чтобы участвовать в этом обсуждении