Argent Blundell's Ancestry

Started by Miriam Macdonald on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
1/17/2012 at 7:23 PM

Argent Blundell's father was Edward Brown Kirton, son of Thomas Kirton and Hannah Ridsdale. Their son John was the father of Robert Hill Kirton. His son Frank was the father of Lionel Argent Kirton. I am Lionel's eldest daughter, living in Canada.

I would be interested in documentation of Argent Blundell Kirton's marriage to Caroline Thomas and also more information about her second husband with the surname Kirkton. does anyone know his given names and who he was?

1/18/2012 at 1:49 AM

Miriam, I have added you as main manager to those profiles - her 2nd husband was George Herbert Kirkham. I have also loaded the Zim DN 1/156 to Argent's profile. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help connecting your tree to this one. I was researching the family in connection with two projects -

http://www.geni.com/projects/African-Missionaries-South-Africa-Rhod... - African Missionaries (South Africa, Rhodesia and Nyasaland (Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi) and beyond.

and

http://www.geni.com/projects/Pioneers-and-Early-Settlers-Rhodesia-a... - Pioneers and Early Settlers - Rhodesia and Nyasaland (Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi)

I do not have any personal connection to this section of the tree. Let me know if you want to take over management of any other profiles in the tree.

1/18/2012 at 2:59 PM

I don't really have the time to take over as manager of anyone, because I am already working hours daily on ancestry.com and also I have a part-time job which keeps me busy. Enough for a person turning 74 next week.

But I do have an interest in South Africa. My granduncle, Walter Kirton was involved in the Boer War first as a Galloper to Colonel Frank Rhodes and then in Rimington's Tigers where he he promoted to Captain in the Field by Lord Roberts. He was also one of the first Frontiersman. He married Isabella Ross in Johannesburg in 1895. I don't know what she was doing there as she was born in Scotland and he took her home to die in 1903. He originally trained as an engineer under his uncle Sir Richard Tangye in England, and them became a marine engineer sailing to Australia and then to Cape Town. He worked near Cape Town as an engineer. He became a well know war correspondent for many years, retiring to Kenya to homestead a coffee plantation. He died in Kenya in 1937.

Do you know how I would find a marriage certificate for them

Miriam

1/18/2012 at 3:45 PM

You could try asking Private User about the certificate. I understand the time issue - be good if you could just add some information to these profiles in the About me Box for the benefit of interested parties and future generations.

Fascinating stuff. If you don't want to take obn the managemenbt then just decline the invitiations!

Keep in touch

June

Private User
1/18/2012 at 11:29 PM

HI Mirriam and June,
Mirriam first of all a big WOW from this 30 year old with all you activities. If I could be like that at 74 I won't mind getting there, but otherwise I would love to not be a responsibility to others.

I will try and do some search those names for you, but getting a married certificate I do need to know if you have any idea of what congregation they were married as the marriage certificate would be in that speasific archive. If yhey were married in the magistrate office we need to apply from the internal affairs and or the specific magtistrates office.

Keep in touch
Judi

1/19/2012 at 12:56 AM

Private User Since when are you 30!!! We are both nearly 61!!! Was that a deliberate typo??

Private User
1/19/2012 at 1:12 AM

O my, blonde, too much e-mails to answer and to much work to complete.

I am nearly 61 and very proud of it.

Thank you June. AS our dear Daan would say - Judi types to fast.

1/19/2012 at 7:16 PM

Hi Judi and June,

Walter Kirton was raised in the Society of Friends (Quaker) religion in England. Judging from his eulogy, he was still still a Quaker when his wife Isabella Ross died in 1903. Isabella was from Scotland. So I don't know where they would have married, in a religious setting or in a magistrate's office in Johannesburg. I also don't know the exact date in 1895 but he gave the year during his eulogy. After she died and he remarried in the USA he was married in the Magistrate's office in Salt Lake City, Utah.

His parents' names were Robert Hill Kirton and Emma Martha Jesper of Handsworth, Staffordshire. I believe hers were William Ross and Mary McLeod or Gairloch, Scotland. That's about I know of her.

Miriam

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion