Micajah Pendleton, MD

Started by Private User on Friday, January 20, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
1/20/2012 at 8:01 PM

There appear to be two Doctor Micajah Pendletons, one being Doc Macajah Pendleton born around 1800 in KY, whose daughter, Nancy Pendleton married William Shanks. Their son, Macajah Shanks is my maternal grandfather (b. 1862), who was raised by Doc Pendleton and Nancy in Missouri. Doc Pendleton practiced both animal doctoring and people doctoring in Kentucky and Missouri. He was married twice. His second wife, Nancy Pendleton's mother was Nancy Flournoy. My mother said her father told her that Doc Pendleton's was of the Virginia Pendletons. So I'm confused. Any enlightenment?

1/21/2012 at 8:28 AM

That is strange! I can't find any Pendletons marrying Shanks in my information. Your Micajah was born about the same time (1800 versus 1795). From what I've found mine always lived in Virginia. Now, a days you might think Micajah was leading a double life but it looked like they lived too far apart for that to be the case.

A year ago I'd never heard the name "Macajah". Now, however, I see a lot of them in the family tree.

Sorry, I can't enlighten you. Do you know where he lived in KY?

1/21/2012 at 8:37 AM

I found this information online:
Grave stone for Shanks, William C, b. 12 Apr 1823, no death date, S7**
Woodlawn Cemetery Independence, Jackson County, Missouri.
http://www.interment.net/data/us/mo/jackson/woodlawn/wood_sasm.htm

Is he Nancy's husband?

1/21/2012 at 8:40 AM

There was a Micajah Pendleton about the age (?) of Nancy buried in the same cemetery. he could have been her brother.

Private User
1/22/2012 at 2:05 PM

Nancy Pendleton married William (I thought it was B.) Shanks 1/214/1842, and he died in 1860 at age 42 around the time my maternal grandfather, Micajah Shanks was born (1859). William Shanks father was also named William Shanks,. The grave potentially could be Nancy's husband, whose father was also named William Shanks. Nancy Pendleton's husband William Shanks was the son of William Shanks and Levisa Fleurnoy who obviously was some relation to the two Fleurnoy wives of Micajah Pendleton,MD. Doc Pendleton was in Lincoln Co. KY, and then lived with a passel of young Shanks's in Jackson Co., Mo in 1870.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion