Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
1/22/2012 at 1:54 AM

Thanks mostly to the efforts of Jason Wills, this project has 237 collaborators and 244 followers.

There's obviously lots of interest in an Australian Portal, but we aren't doing much with it. I put together a front page some weeks ago, but nothing much has happened since.

Under Notable Australians, we have Australian Artists, but nothing more. I would like the project to add categories for perhaps politicians, religious leaders, sports personalities, etc. I am sure there is more that we can add on Australian research resources, migration patterns, etc.

Perhaps we can add discussion threads on research achievements and current issues where people can ask for help in Australian research.

All volunteer effort to expand this portal will be welcomed.

1/22/2012 at 3:22 AM

Before you start complimenting some-one, you should know the start of the Australian port: the Australian Coffee Corner, destroyed by the same curator after I had found a lot of people I could work with and co-operate to search the links between lots of Dutch emigrants and know living relatives of Dutch. So what is know the place to meet and find collaborators to work on mutual and common ancestors? He harmed my work with no communication at all about his motives, so I think it not wise to enable this practice on geni...
This is non-communicating power-practice with no helping aspects at all.

1/22/2012 at 3:28 AM

But maybe I should start a project for the Dutch in Australia now? That gives him no alibi to interphere and I can continue to search for all those relatives who emigrated from Holland after WWII and all those farmers who tried to start a new life there after the waterflood of 1953. Maybe it's wise to have some helpers in this portal now who know something about the European history and the reasons so many looked for a new future in other continents like Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Private User
1/22/2012 at 3:35 AM

-jMu-
the best would be to help David - there is no need for separate project yet - maybe later, once it gets off the ground

1/22/2012 at 3:44 AM

I always help and a lot of Dutch people like to work in the projects I started to get a place where they can communicate and find historical infomation & other profiles with the same aspects. I even work together with a museum now in the Netherlands to help them documentate old dutch professions, but got frustrated by the way some curators frustrate my own work. I had so good collaborations thanks to my initiative to start a link between Holland and Australia far before it was common to make International Portals, also an idea Fred and I started with in the Netherlands. Everything can be discussed with me, but as soon as someone with a ranking in this portal is sneaky burning my harvest, I would like discussions about the way helping is organized.... And ofcourse I do not want to do the same with this portal, for I think its the best way of co-operation and finding each other in mutual interests or ancestors. But my angry about the loss of contacts is still there, you see? groeten van jeannette, die zoekt naar emigranten uit Nederland in Australia die allemaal zo rond de vijftiger jaren uit ons land vertrokken en hier geen spoor achterlieten voor hen die hen nu graag in hun stambomen willen betrekken.

Private User
1/22/2012 at 2:21 PM

There is room in the Australian Portal for related projects. One of those related projects is already the Australian Coffee Corner, and has been for some time.

Hopefully that keeps everyone happy.

1/23/2012 at 3:46 PM

Since it is the 100th anniversary of Mawson's Antarctic expedition, what about Australian Geologists? Given the importance of the mining industry to the economy since the 1850s gold rushes, and the role played by Australian geologists in advancing science world-wide, they deserve a guernsey. You could start with Mawson, his colleague Edgeworth David, through to Sam Carey (a pioneer of plate tectonics), Eric Rudd (discoverer of Australia's first oil), and so on.

Private User
1/23/2012 at 4:07 PM

There's an umbrella project about mining here:

http://www.geni.com/projects/All-That-Glitters-MINING-the-world

And scientists here:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Prominent-Scientists-i-Exact-Sciences-...

So associating an Australian geologists project seems a good idea.

Private User
1/23/2012 at 5:43 PM

Australian geologists / scientists: Let's do it. Can you provide some profile refs? Start the projects if you like - or I can.

Note that as always with fairly recent profiles there may be privacy issues - we can only work in projects with public profiles.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion