Family trail shows the wrong way!

Started by Mats Trägårdh on Monday, January 23, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts
1/23/2012 at 7:46 AM

Something has gone wrong in the family ranks!

When I added my ancestors, everything was as it should.
When I then merged a profile the result was a completely different path.
I can give you an example: my 11th great grandfather suddenly became my first cousin eight times removed's husband's great uncle's wife's grandfather.

It's not just me who has this problem.
Even a friend of my told me that he has the same problem with some nodes.
I have tried to correct data conflicts, but to no avail.
Why does this happen? and what can I do about it?
I can not accept that I should pay for something that is wrong.

1/23/2012 at 11:13 AM

I checked with an engineer and he said that the path you are currently seeing is cached. It will be refreshed in a day or two and should go back to what you had before.

1/23/2012 at 11:21 AM

Okey!

I'll Wait à while and see if the problem dissapear by itself.
I have refreshed My computors cache with no results.
I cross My fingers and wait!

Thanks

Private User
1/23/2012 at 11:23 AM

Mats Trägårdh, Check if you have this symbol, a gray double arrow in a circle after relationship description on that or surrounding profiles:

http://assets3.geni.com/images/icn_refresh.gif

When that symbol is displayed Geni are telling you that it displays an old cached path. Click the symbol to force Geni to recalculate it. It might be useful to do that a couple of other places on the path as well before you try it on the end profile to ensure that the new calculation don't use any other cached paths.

1/23/2012 at 1:13 PM

I have checked paths from severel persons who are connected to that part of the tree, but there is no dubbel arrow circle after the relationship descriptions.

I got the problem when i merged the profile Margareta Hansdotter who is my 10th great grandmother.
But as i write, Geni tell me she is my first cousin 8 times removed's husband's great uncle's wife's aunt.
Her father and her mother has also wrong path, but her mothers parents shows that they are my 12th great grandparents, isn´t that strange?

Hope there is a solution for this.
/ Mats

Private User
1/23/2012 at 1:24 PM

You have several pending merges in the line and it it might confuse the algorithm when having for example more than two parents

http://www.geni.com/list/merge_issues?focus_id=6000000006809986910

1/23/2012 at 1:34 PM

Okey. maybe thats the problem.
I shall try to solve so many as i can, and see if the problems remains.
I´ll report later on.

Thanks / Mats

1/24/2012 at 3:36 PM

I have tried to resolve any conflicts that should have affected the tree and the lineage of the branch.
What I still can not understand is why Geni.com chooses a long path that is not really relevant, or indeed logical.

If I set to show only close relatives in the settings, everything is as it should, but the text shows the wrong path.
This is terribly unfortunate, because I want to make a bigger booklet with all the relatives, but I will of course keep this information correct.
I have grown tired of this and can not Geni.com solve this, I leave for the benefit of another site.

Although I merge profiles and resolve data conflicts so must the owner of the node, review and approve.
What if this person has left Geni.com? Or not care? Believe me, there are such people here .... Then the problem never solved.

1/24/2012 at 5:23 PM

The gray double arrow is a tool that only curators see. Mats Trägårdh, you just have to wait for the cache to refresh itself. This will take up to a week.

1/24/2012 at 5:56 PM

Ok Michelle, i´ll wait 2-3 weeks, that would be enough i hope.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion