Barnes in South Africa

Started by June Barnes - galavanting! on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
1/24/2012 at 9:29 AM

I have a book given to me by my mother-in-law in the 80's called "Barnes Ancestry" by Pamela Barnes. It is about the descendants of the1820 Settlers to South Africa - James and his brother George - children of Mary Barnes nee Dixon. When her husband died she teamed up with Henry Harper and went to South Africa with two of her children (the daughter who was left behind for some unknown reason followed in 1825) where she did finally marry him in 1928. I will add information to this family to the tree - in the mean time have added James and his brother to the project.

My mother-in-law thought that the Barnes line would link to this branch, but it was not the case - our Barnes line come from a family of Gardeners - have added one of the more well known to the project.

June

Private User
1/24/2012 at 11:08 AM

Is there any hereditary deafness in any of the Barnes families you've run across?

1/24/2012 at 11:44 AM

Not that I know of - just the usual selective hearing!

Private User
1/24/2012 at 6:38 PM

:)

1/25/2012 at 10:50 AM

I doubt that! I called you twice - no response! Sorry I forgot about the selective hearing!

Private User
1/26/2012 at 10:06 PM

As June says, just selective deafness, and fading hearing with age.

Selective deafness can be a wonderful affliction!

6/9/2012 at 7:38 AM

My great grandmother was a Mary Hannah Madia Grace and she married a Thomas Herbert Flint. She was from Durban and was the first matron of the Addington hospital (or so I have been given to understand) I am not sure if there is a connection

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion