Reopen my old account

Started by Annely E on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
1/28/2012 at 10:47 AM

Hei,

I want to reopen my old accoun, what should i do??

2/1/2012 at 11:52 AM

Here are instructions on our Help site - http://help.geni.com/entries/469674-how-can-i-re-open-my-account

Private User
2/1/2012 at 9:13 PM

It looks to me like what it is saying is, very simply, you are out of luck, it cannot be done, you cannot reopen an old account.

If there is a relative with a claimed profile on what was your old tree, they can send you an invite to your old profile - which they might do if you are on good terms with them, etc. But this will not give you back management of the profiles you added / managed or etc. - or will it?

And this is true whether account was closed by you, or was closed by Geni as a result of their former Abandoned Tree Policy (or any other reason).

Am I understanding that correctly?

Private User
2/1/2012 at 10:56 PM

I agree that the text is somewhat unclear.

It all depends on what you mean with old account.

The first question is: Is the account closed or not?

If the account is not closed, but you just have forgotten your password you can use the password recovery that help text links to.

If the email used on that account is an email you don't have anymore that email can still be used as login, - it all depends if you are able to remember the password because password recovery will not work.

Even if you don't remember the password you still have some hope, but have to ask help@geni.com for help by supplying them information other users does not see, like which email you used and details on close relatives.

If you had a standalone tree and deliberately closed you account both the account and all profiles is deleted.

If you was a part of a tree with other users it depends on what option you used when closing the account like delete your own and/or close profiles etc, but in any case another member in that tree have to re-invite you or merge your new tree into the exsisting.

2/2/2012 at 7:05 AM

hey,
I closed my old account, but ofcourse i forgot to remove all the profile pictures and all the details like births of my family members who was there, and now i see that if i write some family members name google search,then there is all see to everybody.
Now i did new account to fix things, but as i can see i cant to anything.
I thought maybe administrator can delete this..i have asked help@geni.com and they say that if i closed my account i cant reopen it.
But there must be administrators who can fix it.

thanks for responce:)
Annely

Private User
2/2/2012 at 1:40 PM

Annely E - according to Bjorn, "If you had a standalone tree and deliberately closed you account both the account and all profiles is deleted." -- He tends to know whereof he speaks. I did not know this, and do not know if it has always been the case (ie if not, could you have closed it before it became this policy went into effect, and what were previous policies?) - in any case, you say you still see profiles when google - So, questions:

1) Had your tree been attached to the Big Tree, or was it a standalone?

2) Did you have any relatives who also had claimed profiles on the tree?

3) On Geni, use Geni's search to look for (some of) the family members whose info you forgot to delete --
a) can you find them / do they come up on a Geni-search (or is google just showing old info which used to be up)
b) if they come up, who does it show is managing those profiles?

If they are now claimed, the person should be able to delete any info about him/herself not wanted.

If they are managed by someone else, you could try sending that person a message (can Plus do that? Basic cannot easily, I think Pro still can do it easily) asking them to delete the info and pictures and/or to talk to you about the info you left behind, etc.

If they are unclaimed and show no one as manager, perhaps Bjorn or Michelle could explain if there is a way for you to become manager. It used to be that the first person to ask for management of an unmanaged profile got it -- no idea what present policy is.

OR -- For either of last two above, if can get to the profile, you might try clicking on "Actions" at top of profile and then "Management Options" and then ask to become a Manager.

Private User
2/2/2012 at 1:52 PM

Annely E PM me a link to profile and pictures from your closed account so I can take a closer look on the situation.

2/6/2012 at 5:47 AM

hey, all is fixed now:)
Thank u!!

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion