Morris Lepstein

Started by Private User on Monday, January 30, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
1/30/2012 at 1:42 AM

Morris Leipstein, his wife Martha Doubell and their two daugters, Jeanny and Ethol (aged between 9 - 12) migrated from South Africa to Israel roundabout 1948 when the new Jewish State was founded.
Can anybody help with the tracing of their descendants. The daughters still have living cousons in Graaff-Reinet whence they came from
Andrew Grundlingh

1/30/2012 at 3:20 AM

Wow! Andrew - that's a very interesting connection:
people I can think of who might me able to help, given the Doubell/ Graaf Reinett/ Israel connection are:
Private User
Millicent Emslie
Joan Bricknell
Hatte Blejer
Private User
Private User

guys, how would you approach tracking this connection?

Private User
1/30/2012 at 4:32 AM

Andrew, that is indeed an interesting connection. Any relation to Sharon?

There are a group of South African and Israeli contacts who are very good with connecting 'Jewish geography'. Hopefully someone will be able to offer information for you. Its always helpful in situations such as yours to give as much information as possible, names of Morris Lepstein's parents, the daughters' partners (if applicable), friends names,anything you can think of however insignificant it may seem.

Then of course there are the regular routes, Immigration archives, Absorption Centres for new arrivals.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Private User
1/30/2012 at 5:13 AM

Thanks Pam. I know there is a curator in Tel-Avis I had contact with
some time ago. I'll ck thru the list again. The Doubells is connected
to me and wife thru various roots of the various trees, quite complicated
Regards Andrew

1/30/2012 at 9:15 AM

I'm not that knowledgeable about the Israeli sources for tracing relatives who made Aliyah, but this is a very common situation and I have directed Andrew to a number of people. Hopefully one or more of them can help. If not, I have other ideas.

1/30/2012 at 11:36 AM

Thanks guys for your prompt and helpful responses - I'm really interested to see where this goes to.

Private User
1/31/2012 at 7:14 PM

Andrew, I have some information for you from Israel.

There is no Morris or Martha Lepstein in the phone book.

It is suggested that you go to the Zionist Archives and see what information you can source from there.

Http://www.zionistarchives.org.il/ZA/pMainE.aspx

Hopefully we will have other connections for you soon.

Regards,

Pam

1/31/2012 at 7:26 PM

Eilat Gordin Levitan noted correctly that they will have changed their given names, I would add possibly even their surnames.

Would they have testified about the Shoah? That is, would they have known family or friends who perished, or were they in SA for a generation or more. I find people in the Yad vaShem database sometimes.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion