Our Trees and the Mormons - Is there a privacy Issue?

Started by Mark Melmed on Monday, January 30, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
1/30/2012 at 5:55 PM

Hi,

A distant cousin of mine raised a privacy issue about our trees and I would like to open up a discussion of the issue here.

Specifically, she claims that all (or almost all) family tree websites are run by the Mormons, who use the trees to perform proxy baptisms of our departed loved ones, thus making them members of the Mormon faith.

Is there any validity to this? Is this true for Geni.com specifically? Is there any way of knowing one way or the other for sure? If this is not the case, then how do I go about convincing my cousin?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Private User
1/31/2012 at 5:37 PM

https://www.familysearch.org/

is the web site for the searchable genealogy available online by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS), more colloquially known as the "Mormons."

LDS also maintains many genealogy centers with vast collections of records, that are available for genealogy research in person.

As I understand it, the LDS purpose in collecting genealogy and making it freely and widely available to Mormons and to non-Mormons alike is based in their faith that connecting a person to a Mormon's family line will ensure that that person will then also get into Heaven. The LDS goal of course is to enable as many people as possible to get into Heaven.

There may be a nugget of truth to the baptism proxy, in a way, but on the other hand there are plenty of secular Marxists, anarchists and radical eco-fascists out there in the world whose goal is to literally mass murder the "surplus" populations of people who don't meet their requirements of existence here on Earth, so on balance, I don't sweat what the Mormons do in the pursuit of their particular faith.

Private User
1/31/2012 at 9:57 PM

Geni.com is non secular and user driven ("crowd sourced").

2/1/2012 at 11:28 AM

Mark Melmed, Geni is not affiliated in any way with the Mormon church.

Private User
2/1/2012 at 9:46 PM

mark- I have used mormon family history centers on many occassions. They are always very nice and helpful. Ive been out to salt lake city 3 times to use their central library. They have a lot of microfilms that would otherwide be unavailable.

Private User
5/1/2012 at 9:33 AM

how come each time i add a new name on geni i see the word batism in the browser

Private User
5/1/2012 at 12:34 PM

As with birth and death, baptism is not exclusively Mormon.

It is included in Geni because, for many countries, the baptism date is the only official record available from past centuries, regardless of denomination. Birth certificates did not exist.

5/2/2012 at 3:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

I am not questioning the value of the Mormon library in our research, nor am I questioning the helpful manner of the folks working at the library.

However kind the workers are, however valuable their resources are, the fact remains that Mormons do baptize deceased people, wherever they find them, and many people, including my family members, resent that.

On the other hand, I believe it is quite clear that Geni.com is not run by the Mormons, which was my initial question.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion