2/2/2012 at 6:42 PM

Direct Descendants of John Byers 1st - Generation

John Byers & Amelia

Richard Robert Sancho William I Peter Edward Lily Thomas

Direct Descendants of William Byers I 2nd - Generation

William Byers I & Mary M. Shepard & *unknown

Benjamin William II Robert J. Edmund Ann A. *Sarah

2/2/2012 at 6:52 PM

Sarah's Uncle Edward Byers was born about March 26, 1807 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada and his death was in 1871 in Australia. In 1843 he married Susannah Culgan born 3rd May 1819 in Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Both Edward and Susannah probably arrived on same boat as Edward was a waterman, whatever that means. The boat arrived at Sydney, NSW, Australia on 14th February 1842 on the ship "Sir Edward Paget". Susannah was 22 when she arrived and 24 when she married Edward at Scots Church in Sydney, NSW, Australia. In 1891 she died at age 72. Her religion was Episcopalian. *Note: "The wild stories about a long-lost black American seaman, it turns out, weren,t just crazy stories. Documents show that my great-great-great-grandfather Edward Byers was an African-American mariner who was born on Prince Edward Island (now part of Canada) around 1806. He was the son of John and Amelia Byers, who were slaves of a British-American Colonel and who had arrived on Prince Edward Island (then a British colony) in 1787 from South Carolina in the United States...Edward (Byers), after emmigrating to Australia at a time and circumstance unknown, married a white Irish immigrant, Susannah Culgan in 1843. They had a total of seven children, including in 1849 their first son, John Edward Byers, who, in 1875 married Emily Georgina Jackson. Emily, like John, was also a 'half-blood' African American, being born of an American-born man Edward Jackson, who was (assumedly) also African-American, and who, like Edward, also married a white British-born woman Maria Manley. Emily and John Byers had a total of five children, including in 1880 their only son Leonard Oswald Byers, my grandfather's father, the drunken 'coloured" philanderer, who didn't marry my great-grandmother Beatrice Collison but who had five children with her, the last of whom was my grandfather Dudley, born in 1909." "In any case, for Edward, given how much he was known to identify not only with with the Island and also with his parents (in that he named his first-born son and daughter after them) leaving Prince Edward Island was no doubt either unwanted, or else a very difficult decision to make. Given his trade, Edward probably left the Island in the course of his job as a boatman as part of the crew of a passenger or whaling ship, rather than as one of its unwilling passengers, and for some reason never returned." - excerpts from "Pot Calling Kettle Black" by David Lewin.

2/2/2012 at 6:55 PM

Sarah's cousin, Sarah Jane Byers was born July 23, 1847 in Sydney, NSW, Australia, and died Oct. 21, 1907 in Leichardt, NSW, Australia. She married James Pavie.

2/2/2012 at 6:57 PM

Sarah's cousin, Sarah Jane Byers' daughter, Rachael Priscilla Pavie (daughter of James Pavie and Sarah Jane Byers) was born Apr. 6, 1881 in Carlingford, N.S.W., Australia, and died Oct. 26, 1950 in Parramatta, N.S.W., Australia. She married John Andrew Santos.

2/2/2012 at 7:01 PM

Rachael's daughter, Ruth Naomi Santos: Birth: 1915 in Wallerawang, New South Wales, Australia. Death: 1943 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. She had 3 daughters. Her eldest daughter, Monica had a daughter, Victoria and at the age of 2, Monica decided to adopt Victoria out to her uncle, Andreas Pedro Santos and his wife Beryl Gertrude Porter.

2/2/2012 at 7:04 PM

Monica, the eldest daughter of William and Ruth Milliss gave birth to Victoria and when she was age 2, Monica decided to adopt Victoria out to Andreas Pedro Santos and his wife Beryl Gertrude Porter. Birth: Apr. 30, 1938 in Marrickville, New South Wales, Australia. Death: Apr. 7, 1991 in Liverpool, New South Wales Australia.

2/7/2012 at 5:06 AM

Sarah Byers Godfrey's mother is not known, but there is some reference to the Mi'kmac Indians on her mother's side. Maybe her mother was a member of that tribe.

3/10/2012 at 12:52 PM

Andrea Priscilla Santos is the daughter of Andreas Pedro Aka Don Santos and Beryl Gertrude Porter. She married Peter Robin Richardson and had 3 daughters. Andrea is Victoria (Vicky) Dnombacs' adopted sister and 2nd cousin.

5/12/2012 at 8:11 AM

Victoria Louise Santos (adopted daughter of Andreas Pedro Aka Don Santos and Beryl Gertrude Porter). She married Stephen Alex Dnombacs, son of Alex Dnombacs and Vera Grace Jones. Birth: 1957 in Sydney, Australia. Lives in Sydney, Australia. "Though dad is my dad he is not my dad as his sister Ruth Naomi Milliss nee Santos had 3 daughters, her eldest daughter Monica had me and at the age of 2 decided to adopt me out to dad and his wife Beryl Gertrude Porter." Stephen's & Victoria's children are: Alexis Louise Dnombacs, Hans Alex Dnombacs, & Rebecca Nona Santos.

7/19/2012 at 3:42 PM

Both - I found it for others.

7/19/2012 at 3:46 PM

There were 2 William Byers born to John and Amelia Byers, One was born in 1789 and 1 was born in 1813.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion