Seeley/Seely/Seeye/Sailly/Ciely Family

Started by Patricia Ann Hill on Friday, February 3, 2012

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
2/3/2012 at 6:50 PM

The Seeley Society( www.seely-society.net) has a lot of important information on the various branches of the Seeley family:
http://www.seeley-society.net/qlist2k3.html

Private User
2/4/2012 at 4:26 AM

Thanks for posting this Link Patricia. You should start a project for the Seeley's. I'm sure we could get a lot of descendents to participate.

2/4/2012 at 5:34 AM

Yes, it would be great to pull them all together, since I have found totally separate family trees for the same people who simply spell the last name "Seeley" differently!! The family arrived on the American Continent at the Massachusetts Colony in 1630 on the good ship Arabella, which was part of the Winthrop Fleet. Captain Robert Seeley (1602-1667) was the first of the Seeleys to arrive from England, but the family traces back through England and possibly even to Normandy, France. Robert later migrated to Connecticut, where many of the Seeley families still live, and he was a hero in the Pequot War. I understand that there is even a statue of him in Mystic, Connecticut. Other descendants founded both Smith and Amherst Universities. Some traveled across the Plains in the 1800's and established their families in Utah, Idaho, Montana and California.
If you have any further information on this family, please contact me, or get in touch with the Seeley Society. I would love to start a project on Geni...as soon as I figure out how to do that!
Patricia Ann Hill

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion