Forgotten

Started by Private User on Sunday, February 5, 2012

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
Private User
2/5/2012 at 12:18 AM

I don't understand this project. What constitutes a "forgotten" actor? Someone from 50 years ago? 100? Is that really "forgotten"? We still remember Charlie Chaplain.

2/5/2012 at 6:30 PM

I don't get it either! They are not forgotten, they are simply dead! And I remember some of them from great movies. Cold but still with us in classic movies!

2/5/2012 at 8:31 PM

Maybe "Gone but not Forgotten" ?
Unless it is how seldom anyone mentions them anymore after they were so well known in their time.

Private User
2/5/2012 at 11:43 PM

I think this project needs a better scope, or at least a better title.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 12:21 AM

Does anyone have the ability to edit Project titles? Anyway, it's a parallel project to Forgotten Actresses, and it seems pretty clear to me - the late greats of other generations. Would agree that Charlie Chaplin is still pretty famous.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 1:09 AM

The Forgotten Actresses project was created after this project. I hove no problem with the project itself, I just think that perhaps it should be called something more along the lines of, Golden Age of Hollywood actors, which seems to be its general scope.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 2:27 AM

I was involved with discussions for when these parallel projects were created, quite some months ago, and I contributed quite a few profiles to both projects. I actually believe "Golden Age" is too limited in scope for title - there's a lot of television actors, for instance - and too similar to the Hollywood Walk of Fame project.

I can truly see why the Charlie Chaplin threw you off, as he's not. Forgotten. But if you look at the other profiles you will see plenty of alas, obscure names.

So I suggest we leave well enough alone.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 2:47 AM

I think something has to give. I'm not the only one that is thrown by the title.

2/6/2012 at 6:59 AM

Golden Age of Movie/ Stage Actors sounds appropriate to me . It covers Hollywood and other countries. There's a bunch of excellent of French, German, Italian etc great actors that I will never forget. By the way, the serious actresses like the word "actor" in a sort of neutral way.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 10:52 AM

People enjoy this and this doesn't harm geneology or Geni.
Let us attack the idiots who place Adam,Eve, God, Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck and family on this site. That I will support!

Private User
2/6/2012 at 11:32 AM

It isn't about harming genealogy, it's about helping people better utilize this project within a clearly defined scope.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 5:21 PM

Victar

1. The projects - in parallel - were created months ago.
2. We do not have the ability to edit project titles.
3. If what you're looking for is a better projectscope statement, perhaps draft one for approval by the project creators. If you're not sure who they are, email me privately.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 5:25 PM

Graciela

A lot of the actors are television actors (who of course may have put in plenty of stage and radio time - but the images are from their television work).

The idea of a project focusing on stage actors, internationally, is pretty brilliant to me as an associated project. What period of history are you thinking of?

Private User
2/6/2012 at 5:34 PM

1) When the project was created is irrelevant. If you mean by that that this project isn't maintained by anyone anymore, that's another issue. 2) Project names can be changed by Geni support. 3) A project scope begins at the title. Its definition leads to the definition of the project.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 7:50 PM

I guess I thought when the Project created to be relevant as thats when the project collaborators decide on the names and scopes?

Private User
2/6/2012 at 8:07 PM

Erica, I'm not following.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 8:22 PM

Sorry! Generally projects have an "author" or "authors" - perhaps "first collaborators" - and they are the ones who create the project, name it, define it's scope, add the first profiles, invite more collaborators, etc. So that's why I thought the "create date" relevant.

2/6/2012 at 8:22 PM

Maybe the Victorian period and then until the arrival of the silent movies? Just a thought....

Private User
2/6/2012 at 8:50 PM

Ah, yes, I'd like to hear Private User's thoughts.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 9:36 PM

Graciela

I always like a list to start with.:)

Victorian era actresses
http://www.realmsofresearch.com/guestbook/newsletter/02_04_victorn.htm

Victorian Entertainments: “We Are Amused”
An Exhibit Illustrating Victorian Entertainment
http://www.library.illinois.edu/rbx/exhibitions/Victorian%20Enterta...

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion