"Marker" images for Slave Profiles.

Started by June Barnes on Sunday, February 5, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
2/5/2012 at 6:16 AM

Would there be any objection to Slave profiles carrying images such as those used on Domingo van Malabar and Truij?

If there is can we have suggestions on how to mark them - I have been adding Curator notes, but perhaps a suffix in the same way as we use SV/PROG and SM?PROG?

2/5/2012 at 9:43 AM

June

I personally do not have any problem with the markers depicted.

Sensitivities could however arise from descendants who may be taken aback to stumble upon their ancestral lines, but nevertheless one's forebears cannot be altered.

I would however strongly resist any image depicting a slave in shackles as that may not be as tasteful as the symbols you suggest.

Having expressed this opinion, I feel I am entitled to do so, as in my ancestral Kannemeyer line there are many examples.

Regards

John Sparkman

2/5/2012 at 3:58 PM

Something more gentle? Not gender related. See new example!

Private User
2/6/2012 at 2:45 AM

HI you both. In a country where the word "slave: has become rather a personal issue and soome people might look back and say thatis racial, I really do think the word all in all should be more subtle. I don't know what. But a fact is a fact. We don't want to be accused of any dirt again, would we.

Personally I don't mind but is can be sensitive.

I hope this "boertjie" said it correctly now and it did not come out wrong - Afrikaans onthou.

2/6/2012 at 4:05 AM

Ja I agree, you are rubbing the lion in the wrong place, stick to the names as per every other individual. ( Blend them in). The history in the about column should be enough reference to the slave issue.

2/6/2012 at 7:11 AM

Slave was a slave - you can't change history! But I will remove the image if it is preferred not to draw attention to them. We can't go upsetting the poor lion! I don't see anything wrong with the curator note. These were a very particular group of people, just as the Huguenots etc. were.

I think I tally around 10 slaves in my personal Family History.

2/6/2012 at 7:58 AM

The marker now says nothing - something is always better than the default!!

2/6/2012 at 9:10 PM

By the way June you should add that mark to your name too being a common slave to Geni and Stuart Barnes. By the way how is the relationship to Geni depicted on the tree? The line to your other master is at leat defined by some other chain!!

2/6/2012 at 11:16 PM

Besotted? Infatuated? Stalking? :)!!!

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion