Johan "John" Bailey, Sr. - The Bailey Family

Started by James Bailey on Sunday, February 5, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
2/5/2012 at 5:49 PM

Boy someone is really adding info about the baileys that is just plain wrong. I have been researching the Baileys for over 20 years now and finally completed the line many thousands of years back. In a nut shell, the most widespread mistake EVERYONE is making is the wives of John Sr. and Jr., along with their children. IN a nutshell, John Jr. married Eleanor Emery. John Sr. married Elizabeth Knight(d/o John and Jane Knight of Embourne, Berkshire). Everyone mixes the names Eleanor and Elizabeth together. I do hope anyone who has researched this family knows that Johanna made the trip with her brother and father on the Angel, right? She swam to shore right along with them when the tempest "blew into town."
To take you back many hundreds of years before that though, did you know that INDEED Rainald Bailleul was the ancestor of the Bailliol family(ours) so you can trace the line back from there. If you are having an issue with that, the answer is Rainalds Welsh name(that's right WELSH) was Gronwy. He was born in Wales. His brother was Warin the Bald by the way. Many "historians" never made the connection between Rainald and Warin but there are ancient manuscripts that refer to Warin and RAinald as being brothers and Rainald married Warins widow and raised his nephews as his own.

2/5/2012 at 5:54 PM

Calling Private User who I'm sure will be very interested in your information James.

Private User
2/5/2012 at 7:04 PM

Hi James Bailey

Unfortunately I have not researched the Bailey family personally so I enjoyed the story about Johanna's swimming feat particularly. I offer my "Master Profile" making abilities to secure any profile you identify as the correct one as a merge guide. Just throw me a Geni link (tag the wife profile in this discussion).

2/6/2012 at 3:40 AM

whoops made a mistake. Didn't have the paperwork in front of me and got a name confused. It WAS William and Jane Knight of Berkshire, not John Knight. I will make sure all info i put forth will be spot on from now on, sorry folks. I will tell you another problem I had with researching the Bailey family in the 17th century. And I never picked up on it until I spoke with a professor of Linguistics. Many historians and researchers alike have pondered if the Byley and Bailey family were connected. Sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. Sit back and say the name Bailey as an Englishman would. Eerily like Byley don't you think. And since many people couldn't spell correctly at that time, they wrote the names as they phonetically sounded. Thereby Byley being misinterpreted as Bailey in dozens(if not hundreds) of cases.

Private User
2/6/2012 at 4:57 PM

My own last name is an example of that, James. :)

2/8/2012 at 3:17 PM

True Erica. Was your name spelled Howden?

Private User
2/8/2012 at 8:57 PM

Nope. Always Howton as far back as I can trace. :)

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion