• Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 1 post
Private User
2/8/2012 at 1:13 PM

Private User
She died the last veteran of World War

Are you interested in this story?

Florence Green, the last veteran of World War which had news, has died, the nursing home where he lived. He was 110 years.

Officials of Briar House Care Home in King's Lynn, Great Britain, said that Green died Saturday, two weeks before his birthday 111.

Florence Beatrice Patterson was born in London on February 19, 1901 and joined the Royal Air Force (RAF, for its acronym in English) in the women's unit in September 1918, at age 17.

He worked as a waitress in the officers' mess at RAF Marham, in eastern England, where still worked when the war ended in November 1918. Green recalled with pleasure his service during the war.

"I met dozens of pilots and had appointments," he said in an interview in 2008. "I had the opportunity to climb one of the planes but I was afraid of flying. Would have worked every hour that God would allow me. But I had dozens of friends at the base and we had fun in our spare time. For many reasons, I had fun as ever. "

She was recognized officially as a veteran of war when a researcher found his service record in the National Archives. The RAF celebrated its 110th birthday in February 2011 with a cake.

Asked what it felt to be 110 years, Green said that "it is so different to have 109".

The last fighter known World War, the Royal Navy veteran Claude Choules, died in Australia in May last year.

After the death of Choules, Green became the only survivor of that war was aware, in accordance with the Order of the First World War, a group based in the United States that tracks veterans.

AP

Showing all 1 post

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion