Privacy/Transfer of information from GENI to Ancestry and other websites

Started by Private User on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 11 posts
Private User
2/9/2012 at 8:17 AM

People are transferring large amounts of information from GENI to Ancestry and other websites. From one webpage alone on GENI four people have downloaded around 100,000 names. 12 other people have transferred smaller amounts. I know this because there is a ‘marker’ name that appears in all their trees. Someone has uploaded my name and personal information (including birth dates and my mother’s maiden name) for me and my children and these are being transferred to other sites.( I am sure Ancestry is delighted with the cache of information.) The person has refused my request to remove my personal information and I can do nothing about it so it is appearing on other websites. Fortunately Ancestry and Friends Reunited removed my information at my request but I now have to be vigilant. How do I get GENI to remove my personal information and that of my family so this issue does not keep repeating itself?

2/10/2012 at 1:57 PM

Hi Trudy

Can you send us a link to the person that is not responding to you? And a link to the duplicate profile that is containing your personal information.

Private User
2/11/2012 at 7:38 AM

Please send me an e-mail address so that I can attach all the information.
I cannot send attachments via this forum.

Private User
2/21/2012 at 8:29 AM

Anyone, whether a GENI member or not can to to the following URL

http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000002803148265

and find out all sorts of personal family information including my grandsons' birthdates. This is a total invasion of my privacy. I thought even you did not include personal information about children under 13.

Private User
2/26/2012 at 3:34 PM

Can anyone help Trudy?

The profiles of living persons in her part of the tree are still Public, and personal info is visible - including her own.

2/26/2012 at 6:15 PM

Ken, she has to take that up with the profile administrators. Only the profile admins can change a profile from public to private.

In my opinion there isn't much personal information in the tree that Trudy lined to in har message 21 02 2012 17:29

I am not able to anything more than names of Debras children and I can see the names and birthdates of Debras sister, husband, and siblings.

Names and birthdates are not information that are protected, so I do not see the problem.

I think Trudy has been logged on Geni when she checked the profiles, which gave her a lot more info than I can see, since I'm not inside her family sphere.

Private User
2/26/2012 at 6:39 PM

If you read through the discussion, Trudy (Judith Hill in the tree) has tried that, and several other avenues without success.

I didn't realise that birth dates of living people were considered public information by Geni. With the information provided in this part of the tree (mothers maiden name etc.) I could access Trudy's bank accounts without too much difficulty if she was Australian.

Surely the information publicly available for a living person is decided by that person alone. Most of this part of the tree contains living persons - and they are public, with birth dates included. I wonder if they know?

Private User
2/26/2012 at 6:54 PM

The problem is that Trudy is not in Trudy's sphere, so far as Geni is concerned - she can do nothing about her own profile - let alone the rest of her family, which was entered by someone else.

The person is not responding, so I guess the info is now available to the world forever.

Trudy - you and your family are now on myheritage.com also.

Private User
2/26/2012 at 7:12 PM

Private User please go to the link http://www.geni.com/company/privacy and click on the misconduct email address. Please give Geni the links to the profiles in question. They will be able to see your relationship to them and take the proper steps.

Private User
2/26/2012 at 8:42 PM

Trudy - also, I would strongly suggest Geni-Message "Customer Service" (of second message of this thread) if you have not already -- this is a member of the Geni-Team with the authority and apparently the willingness to help. Specifically, that is --

click on the blue words /name "Customer Service" there (for her name), then on Customer Service's Profile, click on " Send Message" - then send the link - or, if not clear how to do that, tell her as much as you can, ask her how to do the rest.

Private User
2/26/2012 at 8:58 PM

Yes, Lois, great suggestion.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion