• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
2/11/2012 at 7:08 PM

The project overview says: "This book is now available in digital form at Center for Jewish History Digital Collections."

That link takes me to http://access.cjh.org/1218192

From there, "View Item" tries to load a 350MB file into my web browser. That's a bit much for my browser, but I might be able to download the file directly if there is a link to do that?

Can anyone help? Thanks, David

2/11/2012 at 7:22 PM

Our experience was that the download takes a long time. The first time I tried, I gave up and thought it didn't work. Other than that, i can't help. That's the only link I know of and it's not been available that long. I paid a lot of money on Amazon for a used copy of the book.

Private User
2/11/2012 at 7:37 PM
2/12/2012 at 2:09 PM

Out of print. The way you do this with Amazon is tell them how much you're willing to pay SHOULD the book come available. They sell it to the highest bidder as it were. It might be called a standing order, I don't remember. That's what I did. However there were not likely to have been a lot of copies printed and I imagine only the family bought copies and from what I have experienced, the families have kept their copies.

My family being in California, we were unaware of the book. Obviously someone else, perhaps my uncle, gave Neil Rosenstein our information since it is incomplete but more than you would have gotten from public records in 1984 :) I first saw the book in 1989 I think when I went for my grandfather's 90th birthday and my uncle showed it to me. It was published after my grandmother's death or we would have had a copy and known about it.

Private User
2/12/2012 at 2:19 PM

I don't recall seeing that functionality on Amazon.

I think Malka had managed to buy some books through the Rosenstein website but I am not sure if it was this one.

http://tali.com/neilr

To be investigated. Even that website says 'Out of print' on that book.

This isn't a priority book for me to buy at the moment - especially if the price is high. I will anyway retry the download which was the focus of my original query.

2/12/2012 at 7:31 PM

The price may have come down since it's available online. Fewer people will be trying to get it. I don't think it will do anything for you. We haven't really lost track of the cousins and this book only goes back to my 4th ggf late 1700s. And doesn't have some of names of the wives from the early marriages since they aren't known. I will have memorized nearly the whole book soon and either my cousins and I who are on Geni or the Suwalki-Lomza SIG and those experts know a ton about the families we intermarried with -- Bardin, Epstein, Schilobolsky, Bernstein, Sterling, Ginsberg, Mishkowsky, Frankel, etc.

Private User
2/26/2012 at 1:56 PM

I don't know if this'll work any better for you, but... I transferred a copy of the book to DropBox, then I put a link to it on my Mishkoff.com website. I've had mixed results downloading it from there, but it does seem to be a LOT faster than trying to download it from the Center for Jewish History Digital Collections website.

2/26/2012 at 2:03 PM

Thanks Hank!

Private User
2/27/2012 at 2:49 AM

David, I have the books if you need something urgent.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion