The Great Trek - call for participation!

Started by June Barnes on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 20 posts
2/12/2012 at 11:27 PM

I have given this project a kick start - need some people to jump in and participate! Been lying stagnant for too long!!

2/13/2012 at 12:44 AM

You go gal. The Great Trek was my favourite History topic in primary school. We had a wonderful teacher who made us an ossewa that opened up; and I seem to recall us naming all the oxen - something like Rudolf's reindeers.

However when it took over the entire history syllabus for the next 8 years, there was a saturation factor -that crept in - so I'll jump in later on!

Private User
2/13/2012 at 6:15 AM

Great! I have already added 3 profiles. I'm in. Just battling with some profiles that is marked "private".

2/13/2012 at 6:54 AM

Thanks Shelvin!

Private User
2/14/2012 at 1:36 AM

And now June? Are we back to ou sixties hairstyle galore? I am in for sure. Just give me a day or two. Of course as you all know, verey colse to my heart.

11/15/2012 at 10:58 AM

Just bought an excellent resource: Voortrekkerstamouers 1835-1845 by J. C. Visagie. Published by Protea Boekhuis, Pretoria in 2011. 752 pages.

11/19/2012 at 2:14 AM

Ohh fantastic Lodewyk Christiaan Steyn, b1c3d12e4f1g4h4i7j5k1 - Please upload the relevant data onto the project when you get a chance.
Also add it as a recommended resource on the project.
Asb.

11/19/2012 at 2:16 AM

Oh I see you have already. Thank you.

Private User
11/19/2012 at 3:26 AM

I have added a lot of profiles as well. Am also working with the resource: Voortrekkerstamouers. Will add some more. As well as to the project Voortrekkerstammoeders.

11/20/2012 at 4:08 AM

Thankyou Private User

11/20/2012 at 12:17 PM

Where do i vent!
I have been working on a profile in preparation of adding it to this project and was looking forward to adding the profile once all the issues were sorted.
Got here this evening to find the profile added but no effort made to sort the issues.
My lus vir geni skoon weg!

11/20/2012 at 11:39 PM

Peter Dennis - which profile is it? I'm not so much understanding what has upset you. If you've done some hard work on the profile issues, surely everyone will be delighted if you start the edit work on the About Me?

Private User
11/21/2012 at 1:24 AM

HI Peter. I agree with Sharon. It happens jong. I also added one as I go along but don't necessary change the sources etc, immediately. Onverskoonbaar, I know. We all somtimes get the feeling - "sommmer my lus verloor vir geni." I also have that, and Shelvin here I must add to you, those dear lovked profiles. Somtimes completely in the wrong place but you can't do anything. No help from sending messages either.

11/21/2012 at 9:48 AM

The hard work is what makes it interesting. The frustration is having someone jump on the work while it is still incomplete.

11/21/2012 at 12:34 PM

Eish, Peter, I don't know how else we work together collaboratively without accidentally pre-empting each other. Are you thinking it was deliberate?
Maybe I'm still not following you - but, if you've done a lot of work, why do you feel you can't add it now? What can we do to fix it for you?

11/21/2012 at 11:00 PM

I added information from "Voortrekker Stamouers" to profiles on my tree before the project was launched. Sharon Doubell do you think we could add an icon like a little Ossewa wielietjie or something to indicate which of our stamouers were involved in the Trek, or am I being over ambitious??

11/22/2012 at 12:22 AM

Magrieta Magdalena Maria Britz that's an idea - I like visual stuff, but I don't know how to do that without changing the whole profile pic - Although it is possible to do. However, I think maybe we'd be covering the profiles in too many 'badges' as many of them belong to more than one project.

Private User
11/22/2012 at 12:46 AM

I have created an icon for the profiles I have added to the project. There is also an icon for the Voortrekkerstammoeders that June created. If you want to use it you are welcome. I am just not quite sure how to set it up for use. Here is a link to a profile with the icon.
Johan George Herbst, b3c1

11/22/2012 at 12:49 AM

Best to add the image to the projects where people can access them and add their ancestor's name to the list of people attached to them. This should work fine as long as the image is marked public.

Private User
11/22/2012 at 12:59 AM

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion