Curators.

Started by Private User on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Participants:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
2/14/2012 at 2:19 PM

They can be excellent people but, I think that's a complete lack of respect blocking my ancestors' profiles having to ask for their permission. This, eventhough there's a mistake in what concerns the people in my tree. For example, I can't correct that Gunnor or Gonnor de Crepon's father (she's my 25th. great grand father) is not Herbastus de Crepon "The Dane" as Anne Marit, as curator, states in her profile, but "Herbastus de Crepon Arques who is a complete different person and so in this way, the mistakes goes up to the whole blood line ancestors.
So, as I've suggested before, let people who want to develop thier family tree without foreing help do so. At least, we should be asked so and not be unable to work in our tree becuase we can't make the necesary corrections 'cause this unrespectful blocking.

Yours sincerely,

Sylvia Bain

2/14/2012 at 3:13 PM

whats your proof?

2/14/2012 at 3:26 PM

http://www.geni.com/people/Auber%C3%A9e-Albereda-de-la-Haye-or-de-L...

where is your proof that Auberée is a daughter of Herbastus?? dont just make stuff up

2/14/2012 at 4:29 PM

Sylvia, profiles this far back are the ancestors of hundreds of thousands of people. Because so many people want to edit and change them, the only way to prevent edit wars is to lock them. If you have good information, real primary sources not just copies of other people's research, then you should easily be able to start a private or public discussion about what needs to be changed.

So, it's not a lack of respect for you about your ancestors, but really an extraordinary respect for the whole user community and the ancestors we share!

You might want to explore the many discussions at soc.genealogy.medieval to better understand the scholarly evidence and the problems of documenting the de Crepon family. It's not as simple as it seems. Where scholars have debated for centuries, and a consensus has emerged only slowly, many amateurs on Geni are sure they have the answers ;)

Private User
2/18/2012 at 4:26 PM

Jason:

I quoted exactly. Just look her profile in my tree.

"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aubreye De De Harcourt (born La Haie)
Nació: 984
Fallecida

Información
Eventos
Línea del Tiempo

Familia Inmediata
Su esposo Humphrey De Harcourt
Su hijo Roger De Beaumont
Su padre Herbastus De Crepon
Su madre Anna De De Crepon (born La Haye)
Su hermana GUNNORA Count Of Normandy (born De CREPON)
Su hermana Gonner Richard (born De Crepon)
Su hermana WOERTA (WEVIA) De PONTAUDEMER (born De CREPON)
Su hermana Wevia De Harcourt (born De Crepon)
Su hermana DUVELINA De BOLBEC (born De CREPON)
Su hermana Waleran De Meulan
Medio hermano Routrou I Chateaudum
Media hermana Avelina De Bolebec (born De Crepon)
Media hermana Osbern De Bolebec
Su hermana Wevia De Harcourt (born De Crepon)

Fuente información:http://www.myheritage.es/person-6012009_1_322883/aubrey...
Regards,

Sylvia

2/18/2012 at 5:08 PM

I see that. But My Heritage is not a primary source. You need a reference to charters from the time period in which these people lived. Or, at least a good academic reference to a contemporary scholar who is an expert in this period. It doesn't do any good to just copy stuff that might be reliable or not.

2/19/2012 at 2:06 AM

yes sorry but myheritage is just ordinary people adding stuff and is full of errors, it is not a scholarly source

Private User
2/20/2012 at 8:15 AM

And when Geni became place where scholarly sources are promised? Sylvia is right. Let her create her own family tree.

Only GENI is able to trick people to enter data about their family and then prohibit them to use or edit that data.

2/20/2012 at 8:27 AM

Private User I understand your point, but Sylvia isn't asking to create her own tree. She's asking to change a tree shared by hundreds of users. If it's okay to replace good information with bad information what is the point of doing genealogy?

It happens, of course. Some people have less information; some people have more. And sometimes people disagree or they make mistakes. But why choose to intentionally enter wrong information?

Private User
2/20/2012 at 8:58 AM

Well, English is not my native language, but I think I read correctly that Sylvia just wants to be able to edit her family tree and let alone.

But, as GENI can simply take over someone's hardly gathered data and locks him out from his database, it is not strange to mess user's data.

Maybe she did huge mistake by allowing someone else's data to be merged with hers and now here data was taken away and she is opted opted out from editing it any more? That would not be the first time to happen.

2/20/2012 at 9:26 AM

With a standalone tree you get a beautiful, clean tree that might be wrong.

With a shared tree you get a chance to learn something, by talking to other relatives who might have better information.

Different people will choose what's best for them.

Private User
2/20/2012 at 9:35 AM

Thanks for your tip. I learned in hard way what means giving data to GENI.COM. We had beautiful family tre until GENI.COM messed it up and forbid us to access it. And we did not even share it.

I don't think I can learn from GEDI.COM nothing more that how to lie and take over other's hard work.

2/20/2012 at 10:24 AM

For anyone interested in Sylvia's problem (rather than just Geni bashing), I've started the following discussion:

http://www.geni.com/discussions/106086

Private User
2/20/2012 at 1:06 PM

Justin,
Predrag got the point. My only desire is to create my own family tree. Though I respect you, I don't care if I share my ancestors with 100.000.000 people and that's why I'm a bit allergic about merging saying sometimes they result or become a big spaghetti dish.
That's all. I don't copy files from anothers and in what concerns any big doubt I might have, I've the privilege to consult my relative's pool of experts in genealogy and family history: The Laing's family and Organization. In what concerns to Herbastus, www.familysearch.org. agreed with the information I obtained from heritage.
So please, go on with your family tree and I'll work in mine. What's more, I do prefer to work only in the direct blood line.

Best regards,

Sylvia.

2/20/2012 at 1:17 PM

The problem is that we both share Herbastus as a common ancestor. There is no way for you to change the profile to what you want without changing the profile for me too.

As you know, the experts say familysearch.org is junk when it comes to this line. It is just wrong. That doesn't mean you have to accept the opinion of experts, but it does mean that if you want to change a particular profile that affects hundreds of other users (who want to have the RIGHT information) you have to expect that you'll be in the minority.

Private User
2/23/2012 at 7:26 AM

> The problem is that we both share Herbastus as a common ancestor.
> There is no way for you to change the profile to what you want without
> changing the profile for me too.

That problem with GENI.COM us knowns since it is founded and althrough there vere lots of ideas how to resolve it thez were never interested to make solution. they are only interested to get to our data.

Please do not relay at professionals as you say. If you want professional then you have to hire him. GENI.COM uses volunteer amateurs who are trying to organize their family trees data.

2/24/2012 at 4:26 AM

Pedrag, Having glanced at your profile I can tell that you have collaborated with two people and a number of your profiles in your tree are public. (marked with a green globe). I cannot access your whole tree and I don' know where your problems have arisen but perhaps there is a language misunderstanding here that could be cleared up. Can you please provide examples of where you have been locked out of your own profiles or where you think curators have changed your tree.

3/5/2012 at 12:37 PM

Following up, here is a link to a highly regarded article about Gunnor and her family:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~medieval/gunnor.htm

Todd A. Farmerie, Robert de Torigny and the family of Gunnor, Duchess of Normandy (Dec. 1996)

3/5/2012 at 12:45 PM

A quick summary:

"The parentage of Gunnor and her siblings is unknown. While some sources call her father Herfastus, this was in fact the name of her brother. She has also been claimed as daughter of the Danish royal family, but there is no evidence for this, and the context of her coming to the attention of Richard I and the family's subsequent rise to power militates against her being a royal daughter. Douglas argued (in a 1944 English Historical Review article on the family of William Fitz Osbern), based on the donations of brother Arfast to the monastery of St. Pere, that the root of the family was in the Cotetin region of Normandy, but van Houts has suggested that the Cotetin land was granted to Arfast, rather than inherited by him. Thus we are left with the more ambiguous statements of Torigny and others that she was a member of a Norman family of Danish origins."

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion